Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default White porcelain pans

Quick comment. I saw Dave's great mushroom/crab appetizer (which looks great) and wanted to note that I have cracked a lot of white porcelain and have started using terracotta instead. The oven heat seems too much for the white pans.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: White porcelain pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Quick comment. I saw Dave's great mushroom/crab appetizer (which looks great) and wanted to note that I have cracked a lot of white porcelain and have started using terracotta instead. The oven heat seems too much for the white pans.
James

Could you post some pics of terracotta pans James?

I guess I am not sure what they are......

I did only put the porcelain ones in the entry and started them on a cold brick so they wouldn't crack from the floor heat.

I sure was concerned they would break.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

They are red clay pans that are fired, then glazed and fired again. They are typically made in Italy, France and Spain -- I am not sure if you can find them from Asia (yet).

Here is a link that describes the ones we sell in the FB Store. That should be helpful. Our pans are made in Tuscany, and have either a nice green or blue glaze.

James

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...tails-560.html (Terracotta bakeware details)

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Journeyman

Terracotta, both glazed or, more usually, unglazed are the dishes of choice in Turkish restaurants.

Interestingly they do a dish called 'Desti kebab' which is cooked in a terracotta urn. This is a meat or vegetable guvec and is sealed in the pot with a flour/water paste. When served the pot is traditionaly broken at the table and the contents poured onto your plate. I am sure this is for effect as the dish would probably come out of the neck of the urn if the pastry was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
White porcelain pans-desti-kebab.jpg