Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Apprentice

Default what tools do I need?

Hi, still need ot do concrete countertop and plaster the dome but i'm firing it up with gradually larger fires to dry it out. Its not getting up to the right temps yet for pizza from what I'm reading but im not rushing it. Anyway, im not sure what tools I should be buying?
Obviously I need a pizza peel. How am I meant to manage the fire and not get ash all over the base of my pizza?
I'm looking at tool kits online, some of them have brushes that they say arent for use on a hot oven! The oven is a kit and the floor came in 4 sections. Its a pretty poor kit so the the floor isnt perfectly even.
How do you guys operate?
do you push the fire off to the side/back with a scraper or rake of some sort, then brush the hearth clean with a heat resistant metal brush before throwing on a pizza?

Thanks

Richard

Eager to get cooking!!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: what tools do I need?

You can get as fancy as you want or as simple as you want, budget dictates. But basic needs are a loading/unloading peel which can be wood or metal and a turning peel which typically metal and smaller. I use an old hoe to move the coals around and then use a length of tubing to blow the ash off the floor. Some people fan the floor with their peels to remove the ash or a wet cotton mop will work. I did have a brass brush but some of the WFO members experience some of the metal bristles falling our and possibly getting into the pizzas so I don't use it anymore. I think Vwiz made a thread abt "show me your tools". It will show you a wide spectrum of pie tools.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rich, I bought a pooper scooper kit from Pet Smart which I modified to have longer handles. I use that to push the wood to the sides and back of the oven. Get a brass bristle brush to clean the floor before you cook. Another handy tool is a log grabber. It allows you to add wood with little hassle.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Master Builder

Take a look at this. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/o...ols-19150.html (Official - Show off your tools.)