Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Serf

Default what makes wood-fired cooking so great?

Okay- I am going to ask a very simple question.... What is it about wood-fired cooking that makes the food cooked in it so great? Why risk burning down the neighborhood?

Is it the smoke from the fire?

Is it the high temperature?

I have heard the argument of charcoal vs. propane for grilling. Is it a similar argument?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Default Re: what makes wood-fired cooking so great?

It's all about heat. Professional cooks have at their disposal raging amounts of heat which just don't exist in the home kitchen. Have you ever tried to broil a steak under a standard gas stove broiler? I call it the beiger. It so happens that a few sticks of wood amplified by a brick dome can create an amazing concentration of energy. There might be a subtle smoky effect, but at pizza or steak temperatures a stick of wood will burst into flame with very little smoke.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Further to dmun's succinct response, it may be worthwhile downloading one ore more of the excellent free FB eBooks (available on this site) as they provide details of the whole cooking process, including the theory of the superior cooking abilities of wood fired ovens. A really good read for sure...

Last edited by heliman; 03-02-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Serf

There is no big secret to this, at least not a world's best-kept secret. A wood-fired pizza oven heats up and cooks our meals a lot better because of the heat stored in the dense walls. This heat radiates across the dome very evenly while the floor of the oven is slightly cooler than the top under which we place our meals. When the oven gets really white hot inside, for certain type of pizza the baking temperature can be far above 300C - 572F or 350C - 662F and maintained by keeping a continuous small fire going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Apprentice

All I know is we cooked our first ribeye in the oven a couple weeks ago. Best tasting steak we've ever had. They we did hamburgers with just some cheese on top nothing else. They were wonderful! I might be selling my gas grill.

Tom
Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Serf

Thanks for the responses! I am going to cure my new oven next week. After the snow blows out of here!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Apprentice

In addition to the high temps that the WF oven can achieve, I think there are 3 other factors that influence the cooking flavors.
1. Very even heat once the oven is up to temperature, or when you let it cool to a temperature specific for whatever you are cooking...
2. The inside of the oven holds more moisture due to the insulation and even heat. the roast and turkeys that I have cooked are noticably juicier. I think in part that with a conventional electric or gas oven, there is not as much insulation and the oven is constantly turning itself on and off to maintain the temperature. This increase in heat dries out the meat more. When I open the door on my oven while cooking a roast, etc. I feel the increased humidity inside the hot oven.
3. The wood smoke adds to the flavor.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Apprentice

To me its the feeling of a simpler time when good food took time and effort to make (made with love). The flames also touch my primative side.
Its a great way to get the family involved when its so easy to go off and each of us do our own thing. Plus it tastes yummy!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Seems like the list is endless!!!