Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Apprentice

Default Using a wfo as a BBQ

In the uk, we usually (sorry, not trying to speak for 58 million people!) do a BBQ this way:

We chuck a load of coals into a pit with some firelighters and let it burn like heck for 20 minutes, then put a grill/griddle over the top and put the food on ths until it is black.

Eat 'food', job done. Watch x-factor, go to bed.

In the real world (ie, wfo world), can I have a bbq as well? Could I have some charcol burning in the oven and cook off that? I no longer want a cheap and nasty rusty bbq lying around...

What I have in mind is a kind of two-tied cast iron griddle/fire thing which allows a small area of coal to burn while elevated above fresh air. Above this would be the cooking area where you place your meats and stuff for cooking. Just large enough to put inside the doorway of the oven.

How about that?

Moving on, we're pretty keep on skewering fish and putting them into the wfo when it has pizza-style heat going on. Like a rotisserie sort of thing where you bung the skewer in for a few minutes and turn it a bit. Any good, this idea? Could it work? Would the fish fall off the skewer?

P de D
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Using a wfo as a BBQ

You surely can. They sell a grill for this exact purpose in the FB store under the name 'Tuscan Grill'. You can also use your oven as a smoker, which I and many others here have also done with great results. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Journeyman

The grill...

14" Cast Iron Tuscan Grill :: Cookware, Grills & Bakeware :: Forno Bravo Store

Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Journeyman

Fish can be a little too soft for a skewer. In the northwest USA we either use a cedar plank ( using one is an entirely different kettle of fish) or a basket. I prefer to use the basket with the BBQ. You can order them from all kinds of different places like the one here

Charcoal Companion Fish Grilling Basket - Bealls Florida Department Store
Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Apprentice

rlf5 - the charcoal burns ok underneath?

brokencookie - know what you mean about the fish breaking off the skewer. I have seen baskets you put around the fish, very probably the way to go.

P de D
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Journeyman

Yep, burns just fine. Better to have the setup in your oven's vent area.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Apprentice

Sounds good mate.

I'm still breezing through eBay's 'cast iron', and there's a tonne of stuff, most of which interests me very little.

Looking for some kind of griddle. I know James has posted one above, and that looks good, just need something closer to home if poss.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Peasant

P de D

I searched everywhere in the UK for a cast iron griddle and gave up in the end. I deceided to order the one in the Bravo store in the US and negotiated the postage (does end up more than the grill) but 100% worth it, it's a great grill.

Good luck.

Ryh

Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made one from an old BBQ grill. I simply put some 3" bolts and nuts through the slots near the corners to act as legs. Works a treat, but sure makes a lot of steamy smoke in the oven chamber.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Journeyman

I use a $5 grill from the hardware store propped up with two fire bricks.