Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Master Builder

Default Using Stainless steel cookware???

So far I've use a couple cast iron pans for cooking things like roast meat and vegetables in my brick oven. However I am currently on the lookout for something larger that will allow me to fit the roast meat and vegetables into the one thing. So my question is can you use stainless steel stuff to cook in, in a brick oven? For example a rectangular roasting dish (stainless steel)

....or would it be to thin a material (compared to cast iron) and the food would burn to easily (on the bottom)????

.....reason I ask is I saw a good price on a stainless steel roasting dish in the department store catalogue. Rather than risk my life by experimenting with my wifes teracotta cookware I'm looking at other - lets say - more safer options

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Using Stainless steel cookware???

I have been using a stainless pan coated with teflon, but only for lower temp (less than 550F) cooking...

Bed Bath & Beyond Product
Old 10-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Buy a ceramic tile or two and stick under it just before putting the pan in (don't heat them when heating the oven, obviously). That will get it off the direct heat and effectively give you back the mass. Buy cheap and make a few mosaics if they can't take the change in temp - it shouldn't matter to your cooking if they crack.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Master Builder

Drake - thanks, I can get something similar sized, like that but in stainless for AUS$20.

Archena.....whats happens if you cook directly on the oven floor with stainless....is it too hot or does it warp the pan?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With the caveat that I'm speaking from general, not specific, experience, it would most likely sear the bottom - I'd think straight on the floor would be great for braising or searing but not roasting or any other long term cooking.

Stainless can take the heat but I'm not sure what it tops out at since I've only rarely used it and never outside commercial kitchens. At the really high temps of an oven I definitely would use something under it. The commercial grade stuff will handle the heat fine and the home stuff can likely take some serious abuse, too, but the bottom of whatever you're cooking will probably sear like crazy without some 'insulation'.

[/CENTER]
Old 10-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Master Builder

OK.........makes sense.

The roasting dish does have a metal rack inside which holds the meat off the bottom. However I suppose whatever drips down into the bottom of the dish may burn and that taste/smell goes up into the food.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Journeyman

What about a flat rack under the pan to lift it off the floor a bit? P.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 AM
Master Builder

perfect Hendo - I think I'll try that for now......as usual I'm doing things on a budget. The tile thing is probably where I am headed long term

Thanks for all the responses

Old 10-15-2007, 04:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No problem. :smile:

[/CENTER]
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Journeyman

Hi Bacterium. Stainless commercial grade steel will stand roasting temps and long cooking times in your oven. Don't use the wifes favourite roasting pan though as some discolouration and distortion of the base is normal. Buy something dedicated to your WFO.

inishta