Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??

Anyone done tri-tips in the wfo? I'm talking about the un-marinated tri-tip from the butcher section. I've got 2 I wanna use for after a pizza-fest.

I've purchased the kind marinating in the package before: they are ALWAYS great (lots of salt and good stuff to tenderize and moisten it). But I bought un-marinated meat.

I like my meats on the rare side, but I'd like to marinate these tri-tips myself which will let me cook them more medium (to others likings) and still keep it moist (to my liking).

Do you dry rub? Do you make a marinate for overnight? I'm going to cook it on the Tuscan Grill over coals.

Thanks, dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Tri-Tip: How'd you do it in the WFO??

Hi Dino,

I did a tri-tip last weekend using dry rub. I threw it directly onto the coals like I did the previous weekend with the dirty steak. I seared both sides, then moved it over to one corner of the wfo to reach the right internal temp. This is basically how I've been doing tri-tips or most other steaks on my Weber grill for the matter.
I try to get a tri-tip with a narrow end so that half cooks to almost well as the rest of my family like their meat that way.

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Serf

I use granulated garlic, granulated onion, black pepper, sea salt, woreceshire and olive oil. Rub the tri-tip with woreceshire and olive oile then put on the seasonings let sit at room temp for about 1 hour then put on the grill,
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What IS a tri-tip?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
What IS a tri-tip?
The technical description is: the triangular section of the sirloin primal that comes from the point where the sirloin meets the round and flank primals.

Tri-tip once was "a California thing" found almost exclusively in what is known as Santa Maria style BBQ. They rub with salt, pepper and garlic... and roasted it over oak fire. They tend to cook it well-done because it can be slightly stringy when undercooked. (Of course, it can tend to be slightly tough when cooked to well-done too). It is generally sliced thin, across the grain, and is served with salsa, specifically the fresh type known as salsa crudo, pico de gallo, salsa fresca, and other such names.

It has gained in popularity and the once-cheap cut of meat is now higher priced and being enjoyed by the masses, and is being cooked in many more styles. To be honest, I like the suggestion made earlier to throw it on coals like the cavemen did!

Last edited by BrianShaw; 07-16-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
o you dry rub? Do you make a marinate for overnight? I'm going to cook it on the Tuscan Grill over coals.
Hey Dino... I think I could smell your fire and tri-tip roasting the other day all the way over in Winnetka. ha ha!

I cook tri-tip a lot and have marinaded only once -- in wine and rosemary. It really didn't do much to be honest. I much prefer the traditional salt, pepper, and garlic rub. I rub the meat and rest it overnight to let the garlic permeate the meat. I also like a mix of fresh garlic and dried. Seems odd to do both but I find that the fresh adds good flavor INTO the meat but the dried adds best flavor to the crust ON the meat. So I do both!

If the wind is blowing to the Northeast on Saturday eve you might be able to smell my tri-tips roasting. But since it is scorching hot (probably over 100 deg F to those who don't keep up on the weather in our corner of SoCal) I might cheat and cook it on the gas BBQ... and brush it with liquid oak smoke to get some degree of authenticity.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Brian, thanks for the info. I can see how the dry and fresh garlic can do different things and I'll try it. I've been dry rubbing pork a lot lately too so I'll try it on the tri-tips overnight. If the winds blow your way, you'll know I'm cooking.

Terrihoward: I'll incorporate the oil and Worcestershire too. I'm pretty good at bringing my meets to room temp before cooking. It makes the meat cook up so much better,

thanks, everyone, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Laborer

another way you might consider cooking a tri-tip is to think of it like a pork-butt aka pulled pork. since it has enough connective tissue, it would benefit form a slow cooked method so that all that connective tissue will melt and add to the mouth feel, as well as making it more tender. that way you could have something like barbacoa....just my 2 cents.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Laborer

by the way, a wood fired oven seems like the perfect cooking enviornment for REAL BBQ. we already have the insulative powres of earth without having to dig a hole like they do in Hawaii. There is a guy here in Sacramento who takes his portable wood fired oven to the farmers market downtown a couple times a week and sells really fabulous pizza to the farmers market customers. As it turns out, he actually got his oven from forno bravo.

Any way, he was telling me that every evening when he goes to put his oven away, he puts in a couple pork shoulders in there door on, and forgts about it for the rest of the night. when he wakes up, he has 2 perfect sholders of pulled pork...which he puts on some of the piza he sells. This seems like a really great way of cooking whether you want to do tri tip, pork, lamb, or anything else that could use a good slow cooking method...just felt like sharing this...
Old 07-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Master Builder

Matt....that's a great idea going low and slow on the tri-tip. I rarely get them to finish very tender using the conventional method.
I'm doing racks of both baby backs and beef back ribs this weekend in the wfo so I'll do a tri-tip along with them. Besides, tri-tips are on sale for 2.77/lb this week.

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO