Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Laborer

Default Starting the fire help and brush?

Do you have any tips to share for getting the fire going? It seems to be taking me a REALLY long time (nearly an Hour) and a lot of TLC to get the fire really going which is hard to do with 2 young kids. I am using twigs and cardboard to light oak pieces currently. I did just get a new batch of firewood so maybe that is the problem; but, the guy did tell me that it is dried properly (and I have used him before without problems). I figured that this can't be normal as you wouldn't be using the oven that often if this were the case. Any suggestions?

Also, I know that I need to order the FB brush, but until then is there anything that you would recommend that I use? Would a grill brush work for now?

I was trying to delay the upfront costs by only getting tools that I absolutely need and have purchased the peel, themometer and gloves. They are GREAT, but I need a way to clean the space where I lay the pizza. Do I have to spring for the brush now, or can it wait?

As always, thanks so much for the help!!

Claire
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting the fire help and brush?

I do 1 match starts. 2 logs on the sides about wrist up to 6" with loose wadded newspaper in between. Then across that a layer of 3/8" or less x 6" long twigs, then 2 or 3 wrist or smaller parallel with the first ones. I build it in the entry, then push it in, and light it. Even with damp wood it still fires off.

I do not put a whole lot of wood to start, once it is going I feed it.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Laborer

One match starts--that sounds nice. This plan does sound better than what I have been doing--more like one lighter starts :-)

Thanks so much!!! I think I will go fire it up now.

C
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Apprentice

Another thing that gets things moving faster is a propane torch on start-up. Build your fire with tender, kindling, and graduating larger pieces...tipi style is how I do it, then light it with the torch for a few minutes - you'll have a blaze going in no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting the fire help and brush?-brass-torch-tip.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Would a grill brush work for now?"

No. They have steel wire bristles and will degrade the surface of your fire brick. You want a copper or brass brush.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If your oven is new it will still be moist and a bitch to fire. Just keep firing and it should get better. On the subject of a brush I always use a length of 12mm copper pipe to blow the ash away from the cooking surface rather than a brush. It works really well and is also useful for starting stubborn fires.
Dave
Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
On the subject of a brush I always use a length of 12mm copper pipe to blow the ash away from the cooking surface rather than a brush. It works really well and is also useful for starting stubborn fires.
Thanks for that idea. I will use a length of copper piping for now and see how that works out.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here, I found a pic of the firewood just before I push it in:

Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, 1-match starts for me too (I was a boy scout so I get VERY frustrated if I lose it on the first match. ). My approach is similar to Tscar's except that I make a much bigger mess before I light it; it never looks as pretty as his. Same idea though: large logs on the bottom to build a "house" for the tinder and kindling, then I stuff wood in there until the outside of the oven starts bowing out (j/k). Then I light it and stand waaaay back. It's fun watching it explode into flame.

If you're having trouble, determine which stage you're losing it at. If it's immediate, your tinder is too wet. If that burns out without catching any wood, your kindling is too wet (or too big). This advice makes sense of course.

Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting the fire help and brush?-236-firstpizzafire.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Half the fun of these ovens is the playing with fire. That primevel thing, me Tarzan you Jane stuff. Hmm makes me feel like grabbing my wife by the hair and dragging her to the... sorry getting carried away.