Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Default Roasting coffee beans

Has anyone tried roasting coffee beans in their oven? I'm thinking of making a small rotisserie of copper wire and a few stainless parts to make a roaster I can turn through the door...

Anyone tried such? Hoping to roast 5-10 lbs at a time.

CB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Roasting coffee beans

There was a rather extensive thread about this a while back:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...eans-6885.html (roasting green coffee beans)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Apprentice

Perfect!! Thanks.

I did a search using the very terms (minus 'green') in the title, but nothing came up!

Thanks again,

CB

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got quite into roasting coffee beans a while back and I used an electric hot-air popcorn maker with excellent results. Google for details.

I bought green beans - a wide range so I could blend afterwards - and followed the 2 crack method to determine when they were done. To cool them I kept a large dish in the freezer and after roasting them just put them in there to stop the cooking process. Because the roasted beans only stay fresh for 2 days, I only made small batches so had an ongoing supply of fresh, blended beans ready for grinding.

Green beans costed then about $14 /kg and keep for around 2 years.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Laborer

I've been roasting beans for at least 4 years, but not in my WFO. I built an electric convection roaster. In the US, you really can't get into roasting without at least coming across Tom Owen at Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's. If you want to roast, memorize the guides on that site and you'll be well on your way.

Rossco, your experiences seem to be different than mine. You say your coffee goes stale after 2 days, but the stuff I usually roast is just drinkable at 2 days, and continues to improve for around 2 weeks as it outgasses CO2. I also tend to roast lighter than the 2nd crack too; nice dry-processed Ethiopian beans really shine at around a Full City+.

Home roasted coffee changes everything...

Stan
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Master Builder

Hi Stan,

I totally agree with you, a good home roast coffee takes a couple of days to out gasses and improves with time, if left as whole bean and grounded just before used. I have a Belmor 1600 roaster and loves it. I would never attempt roasting 5 or 10lbs of coffee at one time( with no prior experience)in my WFO. The time frame from 1st crack to 2nd crack, depending on the beans, can be from a few seconds to a few minutes and once they start rolling there's no stopping except to dump them and cool them fast. I also get my beans from (Sweet Maria's) shipped to Japan, a 5 or 10 lbs loss, would be a disaster.