Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Lodge Cast Iron

Tim's picture of his various cast iron pans (and the recipes that work best with cast iron) inspired me to contact Lodge -- and Forno Bravo can become a Lodge dealer. It's that merchant gene again.

I was thinking of carrying a large grill pan/griddle, a standard size cast iron pan, and a dutch oven.

Does anyone have any favorites, or recommendations here? What do you use the most?

I looked at some of the less expensive products, but I think using the real thing in a brick oven is a good idea. Let me know what you think.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Lodge Cast Iron

James,

Just uploaded a pic of one of my favorite cast iron pots. Have a look. I like it because of the size, weight and the cast-in handles. It was given to me as a gift, so I know very little about it, other than it was purchased in Germany about ten years ago.

Jim
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I love all the cast iron pans but find I use the largest cast frying pans I can find.

Always season well with oil after cleaning (even baked it on in the oven!)

I was just thinking about trying an upside down cake in a cast fry pan...anyone done that with your wood oven?

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

XJ,

Never tried an upside down cake, but I've made my grandmother's Irish pan bread in a fry pan lots of times. Basically, it's just soda bread, but you can make fine corn bread the same way. Works a charm, as our down under members would say.

Jim
Old 05-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Apprentice

James, I have a Lodge pot with lid and stainless handle (2 quart? - it's about 9 inches diameter.) I also have a round Lodge pan that is about 18" with low sides. Like a frying pan without a handle.

I love the stuff. It comes preseasoned or not, I guess you would want to suss out which is the better method, no reason to inventory both.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

As a traditional little Southern girl I wouldn't buy pre-seasoned - cast iron is best when you season it yourself (or even better - when your Grandmother seasoned it for you! ).

Now I gotta go find my corn pone pans...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

We did it. We've added two skillets, a dutch oven and a two-sided griddle to the FB Store -- and I went for the big guys. They still fit through your oven opening, but they will hold a lot of food (and a lot of heat). Sorry Archena, my grandmother didn't have time to season each one, so we went of the line called Lodge Logic -- pre seasoned in huge gas-fired ovens. :-)

I know it's too modern, but they convinced me it's better -- and that it eliminates the problem of pans that aren't seasoned correctly.

It's in the FB Store here.

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Cook...p-1-c-250.html

Enjoy,
James

Last edited by james; 05-12-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's okay - not much I need in the cast iron department anyway. My Grandmother did a great job on the stuff she left to me!

May eventually try a grill, though.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

I believe there is a "typo" in the description of the dutch oven listed in the FB store. Isn't the diameter 12", not 20"?

RT
Old 05-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Got it.
Thanks.
James