Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Instant read thermometer

Which brand of instant read thermometer is everyone using? And do you like it?

I have a very basic model, which seems to take forever to creep up to the final internal bread temperature.

Have a good lead for me?
Thanks,
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Instant read thermometer

Santa got me "The Original Super-Fast Thermapen Instant Read Thermometer" by Thermoworks. It really is lightning fast.

I haven't tried it with bread but it instantly told me I overcooked our Christmas turkey

Updated!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, after using the Thermopen for checking bread dough and loaf temperatures (while learning to make various breads at CJ's last Spring) we bought one too. Relatively expensive but the response times are very good.

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Instant read thermometer

Mine is like yours James. A cheapie from ebay but better than nothing.
I am envious of the Thermopen and have one listed on my 'must get list' but in due course.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Laborer

I had the slow ebay type also and just got the Thermopen. What a difference!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Apprentice

Has anyone tried a wireless digital thermometer for meat?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got the one from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago. I don't have a usable oven yet, so I can't report too much. It has a laser which you can disable (saves the battery of course). One annoying thing is it doesn't give the option of disabling the beep when you release the trigger. It gives constant live feedback while the trigger is down (not just one reading at the time you pull the trigger), but as soon as you release the trigger is beeps (and then shows the last recorded temperature somewhat indefinitely). I find the beep annoying and unnecessary.

One other thing is I have no calibration. For all I know it's perfect to within a tenth of a degree...or it's off by ten degrees. I just don't know.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkoid View Post
Has anyone tried a wireless digital thermometer for meat?
I have a Maverick digital wireless unit I use for smoking meat. While pretty accurate during long smokes the remote wireless unit can lose signal and give a false reading if taken indoors behind walls.
A lot of folks in the BBQ/smoking community use wireless units and this brand is very popular among the users.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got an email today that the Thermapen is on sale for $74...Not cheap but very excellent...

ThermoWorks - Home of the Original Super-Fast Thermapen!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Apprentice

In response to kebwi, it's probably not spot on to a tenth of a degree. All of the IR thermometers give a +/- range. Besides, is it going to matter that much if your oven is at 900 or if it is at 910? Probably not. I use the ATD 701 IR thermometer. Picked it up for about $60. No complaints.