Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Herb d' Provence bush

Trader Joe's has a pot with fresh rosemary, thyme and oregano. We have put put it in a sunny window and hope to keep it going until the depths of winter. I have already taken cuttings from it 3-4 times for cooking.

What does everyone do for fresh herbs in the fall and winter?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Herb d' Provence bush

I bring in the pots of basil, sage and chives. I have a rosemary bush in the ground outside- possibly the most pampered rosemary ever- it gets a styrofoam cooler over it when the temperature goes below 20! The basil doesn't always make it well, but I can always plant more seeds. I have a new pot this year with thyme, lemon thyme and oregano, I expect I'll bring it in too. Parsley I leave in the garden, and cover up if it's really cold.

If these fail, or don't produce enough (sometimes the basil runs short) I buy the packaged stuff at the market when I need the fresh leaves. It's ok, and much better than dried. It's just kind of spendy. I also have frozen basil cubes (pureed basil and olive oil) which I add to sauces as needed.

A big sunny south-facing window makes all this possible.