Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Grease Stain Removal from Landing

I got really sloppy pulling out bacon wrapped scallops from my Pompeii oven and fat dripped all over the front of my oven landing, under the vent. How do I get rid of it short of replacing the herringbone bricks?

I know that food and fat incinerate in the middle of my oven when I have pizza temps going and dome and floor gets "white-hot-clean".

Has anyone: dragged the embers out onto the vent area to burn off the stains?

Has anyone dragged the flaming embers/wood toward the front arch/vent to get that white-hot-cleaning on their blackened vent area or is that NOT a good idea to have the 600-700 deg flames in the vent area ?

What about (sounds crazy, ya) using a blow-torch on the grease stains on the landing, that way the heat is just on those few landing bricks, not everywhere.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 02-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Grease Stain Removal from Landing

I know this sounds crazy...but try clay type kitty litter. We use it on the garage floor to remove the oil stains and it works. Just sprinkle it on let it sit overnight and sweep away.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or you could just consider it a badge of real oven use and leave it alone... that's what I would do!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Master Builder

Let me know what works for you, Dino! Mine looks the same!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,

I've tried solvents, pulling hot coals over the area, and yes, even the torch. The torch worked a little bit but the bricks are still soiled. I personally don't want to replace the brick so I am leaving it as it is (unless someone has the magic bullet).

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Boy, you have tried it all Les! I'll worry less about it now. Like Chef said, I could have thrown cat litter on it the next day but it's been so long now. I'll do as Elizabeth says, wear it as a badge of oven use honor.

I'm always amazed (or jealous ) when I see someones $8000 Viking Range that's so clean you know they never cook on it and I don't want my wfo to become a mausoleum.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pour grease on the whole area to even it out.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I got really sloppy pulling out bacon wrapped scallops from my Pompeii oven and fat dripped all over the front of my oven landing, under the vent. How do I get rid of it short of replacing the herringbone bricks?
Pull off your chimney cap and let the soot wash down on that landing area. Black bricks show no grease! Seriously, cooking stains are a mark of honor in an outdoor oven.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Does anyone know of an entry floor made of soapstone? It's not supposed to stain, hmm?, and it's often used in ovens and stoves because of durability and heat retention. Just a question.

I also have a few food stains..

Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

I think tscarborough has the ticket. Oil up the whole area. You're bound to spill again anyway. The problem with coals or torch is if they don't get hot enough, you'll be left with a black sooty spot instead of a greasy one.

Pdiff