Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Apprentice

Default Gluten Free Pizza Dough?

Does a gluten free pizza dough recipe exist? I am having a few friends over this weekend for pizza, but one of my friends girlfriend cannot have anything made with gluten. I know it is a silly question, but is there a way to make here a pizza? I know you need gluten for the raising of the dough, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Gluten Free Pizza Dough?

Ingredients

1 Cup Tapioca Flour
Cup Teff Flour
Cup Glutinous Rice Flour
1 Cup White Rice Flour
1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
Teaspoon Yeast (for flavor)
Teaspoon Salt
Cup Olive Oil
Cup Plain Yogurt
Cup Milk
Cup Water
1 Egg, Slightly Beaten (for egg wash)

Directions
In large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (from Tapioca Flour to Salt), set aside for later use.

In mixing bowl, mix together the olive oil, yogurt, milk and water. Add the dry ingredients and mix.

Spray jelly roll pan (15" x 10.5" x 1") with cooking spray. Place dough in pan and gently press until a thin coating of dough covers entire pan (helps to spray hands with cooking spray). Apply a thin coating of the beaten egg (will not use entire egg) to top of dough and cook in preheated 400 oven for 23 minutes. Remove from oven and add pizza sauce and favorite cheese/toppings. Place back in 400 oven for 15 minutes.

Found this on the web... Seems complicated but, it also seems standard for gluten free dough.

You might try it out the day before to see what kind of results you get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 10-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply.....does seem like a lot of work. A co-worker of mine informed me he believes Whole Foods makes a prepared gluten free dough. Anyone ever try it and see how well it comes out of the pizza oven?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My Mom cannot have gluten either. I used a gluten free pizza mix found at a health food store and she enjoyed it, but it was wierd...

Let me know if this works out, I need to come up with something better for her.

Drake
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Posting at the same time, I think I bought that mix at whole foods. I have seen raw pizza dough at whole foods, but never gluten free raw pizza dough...
Drake
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

What about Spelt? Trader Joe's sells gluten-free bakery goods using spelt rather than flour.
James

Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Master Builder

I will do some checking also...as James says spelt is a good route to follow...as may be soy...the leavening and dough structure is hard...that is why the xanthan gum
Dutch
Old 10-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
that is why the xanthan gum
Dutch
I found the recipe, but I sure don't know half of the ingredients..... What the heck is xanthan gum?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Master Builder

It is a food additive that creates plasticity in such things as gluten free breads....it is also added to salad dressings to stabilize ingredients in suspension...I think it is made through a process of fermentation...oddly enough.
Dutch
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
It is a food additive that creates plasticity in such things as gluten free breads....it is also added to salad dressings to stabilize ingredients in suspension...I think it is made through a process of fermentation...oddly enough.
Dutch
LOL

Thanks!

that is odd...........

My costs:

My pics: