Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Apprentice

Default Gluten-Free Oven Use

I have a friend who's gluten intolerant (like really really intolerant) and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas for using the oven both for her and for everyone else. Does the gluten that's scattered around the oven get killed at such high temperatures? Would using a pizza stone specifically for her be the way to go?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Amber
Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Gluten-Free Oven Use

I don't know, but just for safety's sake, I'd use the stone. More work for you, but potentially a lot less misery for her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Apprentice

That's what we were thinking - Has anyone else had luck with this?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You're right, the question is whether or not the gluten is rendered harmless by the intense heat. I just don't know that. If the pizza stone hasn't had gluten on it, I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. I have a child allergic to shrimp, and while so far it's only been some mild swelling upon exposure, you'd better believe that I do everything I can to avoid exposure of any kind. The problem comes when she eats out- I got a frantic phone call the first week of college when she realized that the fried rice she'd just eaten had shrimp in it. She was ok, thank goodness, but it scared her enough to remember to ask what things have in them from then on!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Amber and all,

Strange how these allergies develop. I've been called "iron gut," because I've always been able to eat anything without problems, fish to fowl, domestic or wild, weird and not. No more. I cheaped out one day two months ago and bought some cans of flaked tuna at a ridiculously low price, name brand, too. Two hours after the tuna salad sandwich, I thought I was going to die. A projectile response does not do justice to the violence of the reaction. Twice since then, I've eaten shrimp (one of my favourite foods) and had exactly the same reaction within minutes. Looks like my system is saying, "Them days are over, buddy, live with it." What's even stranger is fresh water or salt water fish seems okay. At least I'll save a heap of dough (baker's joke) on lobster.

Best to be safe than sorry in the bathroom later.

Jim
Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have the same problem with scallops. I love them and had eaten them all my life, but a number of years ago I had 3 episodes in a row in which I ended up not knowing whether to face the toilet or sit on it- my dad finally said "Just stop eating the @#$% things!". I was trying to blame it on bad scallops, but no one else was sick.....

But no other fish or shellfish does that to me at all.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Apprentice

I agree - better safe than sorry. We're thinking we can have a pizza stone that we use only for her and then remove and wash it when we're done. That and cook her stuff first...
Old 11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gluten is definitely not killed off by heat...You will prob end up cooking whatever pizza recipe you find on a sheet pan for her anyway...not too much stretchy pizza dough without gluten...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, it's nice to have a few other oppinions
Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Drake's right - even if high heat would destroy gluten the pizza itself never reaches those temps. Pizza that does get that hot is called 'charcoal'. A dedicated stone and meticulous cleaning are your best bet.

Your prep area is the greater risk. If you're going to cross contaminate that's where it will happen. If she's that intolerant use a different prep area or do a complete wipe down before prepping hers - especially if they are seconds. You're more likely to make a mistake once you've done it a few times and the paranoia wears off.

You might try the (awful sounding) alternative of pork rind crust. I can probably find a link if you like.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]