Old 02-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default A fun birthday present

Here is my favorite birthday present. A tall, steel fire lighter. Very good looking and heavy in your hand. It's 12". A heck of a lot nicer than the gas lighters you buy at Home Depot.

James
Attached Thumbnails
A fun birthday present-candle_lighter.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Laborer

Nice. Those cheapie ones never seem to last! Of course I don't need either these days. I use my propane torch

to start my fires. No kindling. Just choose some fairly thin logs (1" or so), stack them just so, click the ignitor and within a minute, I've got a good blaze to build from.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Not exactly subtle

David,

Good point. But if you are going to light a fire with company watching, which would you use? .... Maybe you shouldn't answer that.

James

Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
David,

Good point. But if you are going to light a fire with company watching, which would you use? .... Maybe you shouldn't answer that.

James
for company, i'd build myself one of these...

Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Laborer

Oooooooh! I want one of those Robert! I'm pretty sure I could cut my oven heating time to under 20min!!

But seriously, with company coming, I'd still use the propane torch. Sure it's not sportin' but in my experience, the fire aspect is 20% important, while the preparation of the final product rates in around 80%. But that is one nifty lighter. Way better than the cheapo one I have and can't stand!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Master Builder

Default Flame on

Unfortunately Kalifornia made it illegal to build a product that emits a flame longer than 10 feet. I am not sure of the actual wording and all. I hear that this sort of thing is ok in New Zealand
Old 03-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Peasant

Default Propane torch on Sale

I just came from Harbor Freight Tools, and they had a propane torch on sale for $17.99. It comes with a 6.5 foot hose. I just tried it out, and it works much better than the Bernz-O-Matic I was using. It's not quite like Robert's flame thrower, but more than sufficient. ---Mel