Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Digital Scale!

I ordered a Soehnle Utra 2.0 digital scale a couple of weeks ago and find its abilities worth sharing. I already had a digital scale that goes to 11 pounds but has a 5 gram minimal accuracy which limits its value in small batches. I wanted something that was offered gram accuracy.

The Ultra 2.0 goes up to just over a pound and offers 0.1 gram accuracy. It even comes with a standard weight and has a calibration routine to correct itself if it gets out of kilter. At $40 plus shipping I think it is reasonably priced and a handy accessory for bread in particular.

Thought I would mention it in case anyone is thinking about a superaccurate digital scale.
Jay
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Digital Scale!

I recently bought a Taylor scale that is a bit of a compromise between your two. It goes to 10 lbs. with 1 gram increments. It was $55.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good, David! Thanks for mentioning that one.

If I didn't already have a 5 gram scale I would have looked for one with specs like yours.

The repeatability of these digital scales is IMO amazing. The Soehnle is overkill on accuracy for baking but every once in a while I (as a frustrated scientist) want to know what something weighs and now I have a whole new level of accuracy!

Thanks!
Jay
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM

.01 gram accuracy is useful in measuring yeast. My one gram readouts leave me measuing half a teaspoon for my two grams of yeast.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Apprentice

I must admit that I feel quite ridiculous carefully shaking the bag of flour to measure out 997...998...999...1000 grams we're good to go!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The scale in the FB store is a good one- I have one like it. I've also seen that one in the KA catalog.

What I really really want is one of those thermapen thingys...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I must admit that I feel quite ridiculous carefully shaking the bag of flour to measure out 997...998...999...1000 grams we're good to go!
That's funny! I do exactly the same thing... and when I overshoot and hit 1002, I find myself grabbing a teaspoon and removing a bit... Like it'll make a difference.

I guess I have C.D.O.
It's like O.C.D. but all the letters are in alphabetical order just as they should be!

Updated!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
What I really really want is one of those thermapen thingys...
They are on sale...$74...
ThermoWorks - Home of the Original Super-Fast Thermapen!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
That's funny! I do exactly the same thing... and when I overshoot and hit 1002, I find myself grabbing a teaspoon and removing a bit... Like it'll make a difference.

Actually, overshooting slightly and then removing the excess is often easier.

You never know when those extra 2 g are going to cause a problem - okay not really, but if it makes you feel better just go ahead and think so.

In my opinion OCD is underrated. After all, if it weren't for people with OCD, we wouldn't have clocks that are accurate 200 decimal places more than will ever conceivably be practical!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

dmun commented about measuring small amounts of yeast. I made some dough last night that needed 1/4 t. of instant yeast and weighed it for curiosity. It weighed .8 grams. So with .1 gram accuracy I should be able to get down to about 1/32 of teaspoon of yeast with SOME accuracy and 1/16 t or so with reasonable accuracy.