Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Master Builder

Default cast iron pots

I was thinking of getting a cast iron pot to do some slow cooking with the left over oven heat after a bake.

My question is I have two options in cast iron pots one pot has legs to hold it off the floor and the other is just a normal cast iron pot. what are your thoughts on which one would work better. The one with legs would use the oven air temp for cooking and the one with out legs would have more surface contact with the oven floor. So I don't know if anyone has experience with this.

Cajun Cookware Pots With Legs 20 Quart Seasoned Cast Iron Camp Pot : Iron Pots Depot

or

Cajun Cookware Dutch Ovens 9-Quart Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven - GL10488S : Iron Pots Depot

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: cast iron pots

If you get the one without the legs you will be able to also use it in your house on the stove top or in your house oven. The one with the legs is there so that you can shovel coals under the oven bottom.
I checked out the two sites you are looking at and the price for the cast iron ovens seem high. You might want to check out this site:

Cast Iron Dutch Oven by ShoppingHevanet and What's Cooking America Kitchen

In addition, there are a lot of people out there that do not appreciate the value of cooking in cast iron, and you can find real bargins or steals for some of these items in garage sales.

Good luck

Gary
Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You also may not want to drag the legs of your pot across your oven floor. My entryway was designed a little deeper and will make it a little more difficult to get pots and pans in and out I'm sure.

FWIW, Sam's Club has a 5 1/2 QT enamled cast iron pot for $35 that looks/cooks great.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Journeyman

I use the cast iron regularly... and love it!

The old standard black pots need seasoning, and are not recommended for 'acid' foods (tomato stuff...). and the enameled ones work for everything.

The pots with legs are designed to be used for camp fire cooking, or with briquettes. I'd recommend the regular style pot with out legs, for your standard cooking projects, including in the wood oven. We use the flat bottom pots for slow cook meals with most every firing of the oven; the two most common at our home are roasts (pulled pork), and whistle berries (some call them beans!).

With a little time you can get some great pots at garage sales, or thrift stores for low prices. (one recent purchase is a great size black cast pot for $7.00)

JED
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Apprentice

Cast iron cooks great in the WFO for secondary use of heat. Also, you can make some great bread in iron pots. Marshall's and TJ max also will often have good deals on cast Iron. Be careful, you might get the bug and start hitting antique shops, and flea markets looking for old cast iron. The castings are elegant on the stuff that was put out in the 20's.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Apprentice

Cast Iron pots and pans are really excellent to use....just dont do what I did the first time I used it. When grabbing a cast iron cooking item out of your WFO, always remember to use a oven glove or towel. When you forget and you decided to grab the pan with your bare hand, that sizzle sound is really your flesh!! Its amazing how quick it takes for your hand to turn into one huge white blister!! LOL!! So yes they are great...but use a oven glove like I do now
Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Be careful, you might get the bug and start hitting antique shops, and flea markets looking for old cast iron
Or Craigslist. I found a set of unused cast iron frying pans, 20 qt Dutch oven and griddle for $45.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: cast iron pots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I was thinking of getting a cast iron pot to do some slow cooking with the left over oven heat after a bake.

My question is I have two options in cast iron pots one pot has legs to hold it off the floor and the other is just a normal cast iron pot. what are your thoughts on which one would work better. The one with legs would use the oven air temp for cooking and the one with out legs would have more surface contact with the oven floor. So I don't know if anyone has experience with this.

Cajun Cookware Pots With Legs 20 Quart Seasoned Cast Iron Camp Pot : Iron Pots Depot

or

Cajun Cookware Dutch Ovens 9-Quart Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven - GL10488S : Iron Pots Depot

Thanks for your thoughts
The smaller, 19 pound pot is what I would choose....The 50 pound pot would be a chore for me

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Journeyman

FWIW, that first one you linked with the lip around the lid--that is intended to hold hot coals piled on top to cook. Neato, huh?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Master Builder

LOL... yup I got the bug. I have a nice selection of cast iron pots and pans to use now. Flea Markets and garage sales got some nice deals.

Tonight was great I made Pizza for the family (father's day) and all. I had some meat toppings that needed to be pre-cooked so while the oven was good and hot I did up the toppings in my cast iron. Everyone was impressed with the sizzle and the way it cooked. Just loving my cast iron in my WFO.

Yes I have done the oops...hot handle grab before...not fun at all.