Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spunkoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Apprentice

Default Value of Good Insulation

My oven is 1 meter in diameter, with at least 6" of vermiculite insulation all the way around. I fired it up on Christmas Eve to cook our Christmas Turkey in it on Christmas morning. It was -27 C (-16 F) through the night. I had banked up the coals and left it overnight, expecting that the oven would cool a bit more than it did. It was still very hot in the morning, some coals left, which I moved to the side, swept up the floor and put the bird in. I should have waited for the oven to cool more. This was the largest turkey we had tried cooking so I was not sure what to expect. The 27 lb bird was fully cooked in about 2 1/2 hours as the oven was much hotter than it should have been for cooking a turkey. It was still good, but I thought a little drier than birds I have cooked in the past. Lessons learnt, the oven will retain the heat in cold weather, plan accordingly....
In spite of the oven being brought up to a full temp and the heat holding in the oven, the snow did not melt off of the metal roof. On the day after Christmas, the oven was still warm enough to bake apples, although it was still very cold outside.
This photo was taken at 9 am on Christmas morning, about 11 hours after I had put the last log in the oven and as you can see, there is still snow on the roof of the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Value of Good Insulation-photo.jpg  
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Value of Good Insulation

It is a bit of a challenge getting the temps dialed in. We were a balmy 27 degrees on Thanksgiving and I thought the oven would drop temp a lot faster as well - it didn't. It's good to know that wood burns at -16 degrees, although I personally do not want to try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Value of Good Insulation

We tried the turkey baking 2 days after we had a pizza party. In the oven it went in the early am and that afternoos the bones just pulled out clean as a whistle. It also was a little too warm for the bird. Live and learn for next time. That second-third day heat makes great giant cinnamon rolls.

Derk