Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Thanksgiving turkey question

Last year I fired the oven on Wednesday and another little one on Thursday to elevate the temp.

For you that are cooking the bird in your oven, do you do the same or just one fire on Thursday?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 11-20-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thanksgiving turkey question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Last year I fired the oven on Wednesday and another little on on Thursday to elevate the temp.

For you that are cooking the bird in your oven, do you do the same or just one fire on Thursday?
I fired on Wed last year and no fire on Thursday, still hot enough.

Chip
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I recall I was under 500 deg the next afternoon. So I lit the small fire and the dome was 595 and the floor was 520 when I put in the bird. That was too hot. I was thinking I may have more control by lighting it on Thursday morning and leave the door open until it drops to temp. Thanks for the reply!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I recall I was under 500 deg the next afternoon. So I lit the small fire and the dome was 595 and the floor was 520 when I put in the bird. That was too hot. I was thinking I may have more control by lighting it on Thursday morning and leave the door open until it drops to temp. Thanks for the reply!
Mine tends to recharge if saturated so I need to overshoot on the down temp because it will go back up if I just wait with the door off until I reach desired temp.

Chip
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm sure I would experience the same. I should have a few hours for it to settle back down - we need a knob on these things

Last edited by Les; 11-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I'm sure I would experience the same. I should have a few hours for it to settle back down - we need a knob on these things
Then the neighbors would want to burn all your wood and what would be the fun of that. This way you can be the oven guru and have all the fun.

Chip
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just one fire the night before, I leave the coals in and put the door in place around midnight. Usually around 550 or so around noon, leave the door off about an hr and the bird goes in at 500-525 dome, 475-500 hearth.
My only screw up was a couple of years ago when I too, thought I needed a recharge fire. Came out perfectly browned, but was way overdone in 1 1/2 hrs. I think it was a 16/17 pounder. I put it in around 580-585 dome/550 hearth. It totally got away from me, I never thought it would be such a dry mess in such short time. It was over done before I was ready to put in the rest of the meal. Seems to me the magic starting number for a perfect bird is 500 degrees, it crispins up quickly and seals in the juices.

RT
msylt likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Serf

I usually fire a day or two before and start a small fire prior to putting the bird in to bring it to about 500. I put the bird in the middle, while the fire is burning and let the fire roll across the top for a few minutes. I then put a wine and butter soaked cheesecloth over the breast and close the door. This gives the bird and the juices a great smokey flavor (best gravy we have ever had!!)
msylt likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I fired the oven at 7:30 A.M. The plan was 500 deg. at 3:00 P.M. Playing the game of door on, door off during the day, I just put the bird in at 498 deg. - not too bad.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Laborer

I hope to have my oven done for Christmas. This is good info. I have been BBQing my bird for 20 years. I was concerned about giving the oven a try on Christmas without a practice. After reading your posts I am ready.....just need to finish the oven.