Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Laborer

Red face Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

Am I being a total twit or what?...Everyone is on about having a domed oven because it reaches a higher temp and its more versatile...well, how high does it need to go, to cook anything?. I mean wont it just burn if its too high, and surely it would be better not to be too hot, how can you cook anything without it getting burned to bits, if its about 800 high..
My ordinary oven cooks a grand roast at 180-190..what do I do with all those degrees?..
Also we have built a Vault-Barrel oven for the garden, as I wanted the space inside...1 meter deep..surely it will cook the same as a dome..WON'T IT!!!!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

In the pompeii oven plans, there's a "why build a pompeii instead of a barrel vault" explanation. Page 8, I think. Read is for why one might be better than the other.

That said, lots of people have built barrel vaults- they work fine. They will also get a lot hotter than your indoor oven, btw. Just takes longer to get there. Pizza cooks better, and actually burns less, at the higher temps in the wfo. (this is based on my highly developed ability to burn frozen pizza in the regular oven, but never burning one in my wfo... but then I can't make microwave popcorn without burning it either)

And the 800 degrees is F, not C, so maybe you've got your units mixed up? 180 to 190 sounds like C, not F. Sorry we're a bit behind in the US on conversion, but for some reason we've just never made the switch, even after YEARS of threatening schoolchildren with it.

You do want to fire the oven long enough to get it really hot, and keep it there for a while, to store up the heat in the bricks. Then you can cook pizza, bake bread, make casseroles, etc. over the course of several days as the heat dissipates. I usually make a list of things I want to cook beforehand to make the best use of the heat. Sometimes I'm horribly wasteful and just let it go when I'm finished with the bread...

Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not that I"ve EVER cooked a frozen pizza in the wfo. Looked as though I was, and I swear I'm not.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Laborer

hey elizabeth. well we will see, i think we will enjoy it a lot when its made...it seems to be taking forever, then its got to dry out for a week, and in the uk thats impossible,,, its been raining all bloody week.
as long as i can do a grand spread for all of our friends using it i will be happy, i do love to make my own bread aswell...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And although this site may have some bias towards the dome oven, there are members such as CJ who will talk about the benefits of his barrel oven.....I personally have had some great pizza after that oven was torched!

X

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Laborer

Talking Re: Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

Hey jim..do you have any pics of your oven!..im very excited about using ours...Thank you for your comments, nice to hear some positive feedback! x

Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

To get a head start on your oven curing schedule, leave a light bulb burning inside the chamber for about a week or so. Alternately, set a small ceramic heater on 70 F for the same length of time. Take it easy and slow with your curing fires, just a little larger each day for seven to ten days. It's worth the wait.

Send me an email and I'll forward some pics of my oven.

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Umm, it's better not to show your email on a public forum. I've written it down, so maybe the post should be deleted. You can send private messages to Forum members by clicking on their user name.

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Laborer

Wink Re: Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

DONE!! x

Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Peasant

Hi Shvuntz,

I've been off the blog for a while and just seen your posting.. I'm up in the north-west of Scotland, have a barrel oven, FB Casa 180 and make the BEST pizza and breads and roasts and everything in it. I'm bilingual in F and C so fire away with questions (ha ha - no pun intended!). I've had mine since August last year and it's been one huge learning curve. I'll give you all the help I can so you don't need to reinvent the wheel!

Annie