Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Peasant

Default Oven temp issues - quest for holy grail

Hello,
STruggling with my Andiamo 70.
My first couple experiences were that the top of the pizza was cooking but the bottom was not.
My next experience was that I put a pizza in the oven & it it immediately caught fire on the bottom.
I do have an infrared temp gun & I am looking for 850 degrees.
I let the oven cool for about 45 minutes after I burned the pizza with no door on & the bottom was undercooked & the top of the crust was not cooked enough.
I use a log holder & good wood.
suggestions? or am I far away from getting there?
thank you.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven temp issues - quest for holy grail

Try casting about half a teaspoon of semolina onto the floor prior to placing the first pizza. It should turn black in 3 secs. 2 secs= too hot, 4 secs= not hot enough. I always cook my first pizza with about a third of it in the entry, because the oven floor is way cooler there. Subsequent pizzas can be placed a little further in.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Peasant

Exclamation Re: Oven temp issues - quest for holy grail

forgot to mention that I do not use the door in the front at all, i did not use a burning log but rather very hot coals from the wood that burned, I do not move the coals back & forth while alternating the places I put the pizza (maybe I should), I have the coals sit in the back & side
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maintain a flame, with your fire on the side, that extends to the top of the dome. This will cook the top of the pizza better and give you an oven light.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Peasant

thanks for your help! I will try the flour test. Should I move my coals from the left to the right for each pizza? Is 800-850 the target temperature? I assume I can add wood during the process if I am cooking 9-12 pizzas? any other tips?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I usually don't move the fire at all. If cooking lots of pizzas I just fire up for longer, like 3 hrs. If only doing about 5 pizzas then 1.5 hrs is usually sufficient. But every oven is different. Keep firing and cooking. If you cast a vermicrete insulating slab it may not be properly dry yet and that may be a contributing factor to the floor cooling off fast.