Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Heat Management

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Laborer

Default Maybe a silly question .... but ... here I go

Do you always heat up your oven to max (bricks go white) not matter what you are cooking or just to the temp you need - our oven loses temperature quite quickly - if the oven is fired up to max at 8pm - the temp won't be sufficient to cook anything by 8am the next morning.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Maybe a silly question .... but ... here I go

It's a great question and i'd love to hear others opinions on this matter. If you are not wanting to cook anything the next morning then I don't see much point in wasting time and fuel firing the oven, waiting for it to cool to roast or bake. Every oven is different of course, but with mine I only fire for one hour, from the time I light the match for roasting or baking. The oven is not saturated with heat, but it's plenty to do one batch of bread or a roast.Ofcourse the temp drops off quicker, but I find it's quite manageable.

Last edited by david s; 10-17-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Master Builder

No! If I did, I couldn't cook anything else until the next day, unless grilling counts. My wife believe that God invented grilling to make a man feels that he's doing something useful.(Burning something)
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Laborer

Thanks - we fire it up for pizzas which need a load of heat but I don't want to just use the oven after pizzas to cook (overnight) as I really want to try other recipes and can't fire up 2hrs then wait for it to cook down in order to roast chickens etc - seems a shame not to use the oven more. We have a BBQ for grilling and this is used often - especially in summer - we are in Greece (husband's Greek) and everything is grilled - he's in charge of that (I have to say he grills meat/fish perfectly shhhh don't tell him I said that) and I'm in charge of the oven.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If firing for pizza to clear, if for something else, I fire to that temp.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If firing for pizza to clear, if for something else, I fire to that temp.
I do the same but usually overshoot a little because the oven when not saturated with heat will drop back about 25% from what I am reading on the surface quite quickly.

Chip
Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, you have to overshoot it and depending upon what you are cooking, you may have to overshoot it a lot. For instance this weekend I did a brisket that required 6 hours at 250+/-. I fired the oven for a little over 2 hours with a small fire (4 pieces of wood total) and brought it to 500 degrees. I left the door off with coals removed until it was at 300, then put the brisket in. The oven was at 230 when I took it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Maybe a silly question .... but ... here I go-101412brisket1.jpg   Maybe a silly question .... but ... here I go-101412brisket2.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Moderator 2

Well I fired up my Primavera to 900 degrees cooked pizza's for our party, closed the door at night put the rain cap on top and the next morning baked bread in the oven as it was still at 500' !!!!!! that is one amazing oven!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Laborer

Just trying to make me jealous? - I found this site AFTER they brought us the oven and closed up the exterior - therefore leaving me to learn about insulation wayyyyy too late!
Never mind at least I have an oven. Going to really experiment this year.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday asimenia
This is probably a silly question as well but do you hav an insulated door?

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.