Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Apprentice

Default Hot Wood Storage Ceiling

I have a 3 1/2 in slab with 3 1/2 perlite topped by 4 1/2 inch firebrick. The firebrick, mostly 4 1/2 X 6 X 18", form the floor.

The ceiling of my wood storage area, under the oven, gets very hot to the touch after a large party and good fire.

Could I apply a layer of rigid foam or other appropriate substanceto the ceiling to prolong my oven heat even more? Or am I just wasting time and money?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Derk
Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Hot Wood Storage Ceiling

The underside of your slab shouldn't be much more than warm after a long firing. I'm thinking residual moisture? Maybe it's gotten wet after construction?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The 3 1/2 perlite is what should do the job. I would not put any additional insulation under the structural slab for two reasons:
- It is not likely to contribute much to the heat retention of your oven.
- You do not want the temperature in your structural slab to exceed 500 F or the re bar within will start to loose strength.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkp View Post

The ceiling of my wood storage area, under the oven, gets very hot to the touch after a large party and good fire.
Derk - I need to ask the question; what is hot? David has a valid point if it's still curing.

My opinion of insulating under your hearth; it's like putting roofing shingles on the floor to keep things dry. Do you have an option of putting a couple of inches of board under your hearth brick? As Neil mentioned, the insulation you have should do the job. Hopefully it's still curing.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.