Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Journeyman

Default Door Construction

I am mulling the door build right now and am wondering what everyone has made doors of. My thought was a sandwiched aluminum construction using 0.1 inch thickness aluminum panel with pearlcrete interior.

If those who have built doors, what would you have done differently?

Thanks in advance for the advise - and your learning experiences you are willing to share.

Chris

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Door Construction

"sandwiched aluminum construction "

This works well. You want to keep the weight down if you can, maneuvering a heavy door in and out can be a pain. For the insulation, consider using the 1/2 inch thick type of insulation that is used in electric ranges or even any leftover blanket insulation material from the build. If you have a local recycler yard (dump) you can sometimes score the range insulation material for nothing.

Last edited by Neil2; 12-27-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Master Builder

My 2" thick aluminum 'box' door is packed with leftover bits and pieces of blanket insulation and only weighs like 4 lbs including a single wooden handle and a dial thermometer.
I can hold the door in one hand while handling food with the other....very practical.

I wouldn't change anything if I had to do it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Last edited by fxpose; 12-27-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Apprentice

Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).
Attached Thumbnails
Door Construction-oven-doors-001.jpg   Door Construction-oven-doors-003.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with?
I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Door Construction-p1040970.jpg   Door Construction-p1040974.jpg  

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I built 2 doors, my 1st being a 1/4" boiler plate steel door with handles and "legs" to prop it in place; all painted black with high temp paint. I currently only use this door as a wind break. VERY heavy, I've actually chipped (minor) a few bricks putting it in place.

My second door is the aluminum/perlite sandwich you are proposing, 2 1/4" inches thick.
Works really well, I just wish I had saved the few scraps of ceramic blanket I had left over. The blanket or board from under the hearth are twice as efficient as using perlite or vermiculite. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

RT
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Door Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.

I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking.
I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Door Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

Thanks I enjoyed reading every post in your build....
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Journeyman

Well, It looks to be aluminum and board/kaowool sandwich. I will have to figure out how to make it purdy - aluminum stays too shiney for me. We have a place downtown - Davis Salvage who sells all kinds of metallic goodies to fence builders and other rouges. I may be able to adapt some steel scrolls for feet and or handles.

I was thinking of an outer door as well - probably a 1/2 door so the smoke goes up, while the fresh air comes in. Just need to figure out the kinetics of pyrolysis of various carbonaceous materials in a hemispherical vessel - Do I see my PhD thesis using a pizza oven?

Follow my build