Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Burned up my door!

Well, I fired the oven all day yesterday for a pizza party. About 10 PM I scraped out the coals and put the door on to retain heat for cooking today...

I came out this morning to a totally burned door. All the wood burned out of it. I have been using this door for a while, so not sure what the difference was...there could have still been some coals in the oven, I usually swab it down a bit and did not do that...anyway, I needed a new door, because mine was ugly, but no baking or retained heat cooking today!

No damage to the oven at all...it actually burned out some of the soot from the vent.

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Burned up my door!-cimg0245.jpg   Burned up my door!-cimg0253_resize.jpg  
Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Burned up my door!

ooops!

Makes a good story though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Master Builder

Wooden door...sounds like a three little pigs story.....Wasn't it straw, wood or brick......

Good luck with the new one!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Master Builder

cal-sil the new wood substitute

Last edited by jengineer; 06-15-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: what a cheesy 500 post
Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengineer View Post
cal-sil the new wood substitute
Is that the current thinking, make the door out of FB board?
Drake
Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Master Builder

CJ used a castable insulation material but FB board would be great. I'm wondering about recycling an old stove door and casting insulation on the back..might be pretty heavy!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Master Builder

Drake,
Do you know what the temperature inside your WFO was when you closed her up?

It seems to me that two doors are in order. One, very well insulated, that is designed to hold high heat for long periods. And a second for shorter periods of time at lower temps. The second would be for baking bread and the first for holding the heat overnight.

At the moment I'm planning on building two doors (and I'm planning on stacking block for the stand today so my oven is not completed). Since I have to wait while concrete cures I may build my doors while I'm waiting. I may be speeding things up too much right now.... I just poured the slab last Friday. A delay of a day is just 24 hours, while a crack lasts forever.

Wiley
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Man!

I am not sure if you noticed.
But from your pictures.. it looks like your door burned up.

What a bummer.

But... you get to make another.. and sometimes that is good.
That way you can change the things that you may not have liked.... or that didn't work the way that you wanted.

I have to build a new one too.

Mine is just to tight and it hangs on the bricks.

I made it out of sheet metal, with the intention of filling it with vermiculite.
I have some pictures some where........

Post some pics when you finish your new one. It will be neat to compare the two.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Last edited by asudavew; 06-16-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
Is that the current thinking, make the door out of FB board?
Drake
I'm not sure, but I think there are some concerns about small fibers from the board. I know some WFO'ers are doing it that way. But I think it would be best to encapsulate the board somehow.

Or maybe I'm just full of it.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Master Builder

tongue was somewhat planted in cheek but yes encapsulate it like you would is you got your hands on a batch of asbestos. I would tend to frome inside of steel angle iron and then "plaster" over it with FB mortar mix. Yep heat sink and then insulation.