Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Serf

Default Burned pizza?

Sometimes I have a problem where the pizza crust burns on the bottom and ruins it. Is this a result of the oven being too hot or I am using the wrong dough? This doesn't happen every time so I am having a hard time identifying where my problem might be. I am also using flour under the dough so that it slides easier off the peel. Could it be the flour?
Also, what do some of you do when you have a portion of your pizza leak through while cooking and make a mess of the oven floor?:
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Burned pizza?

Some flour will always burn and you do want SOME char on your crust...

Are you using a lot of olive oil, or any sugar in your dough? These items help pizza crust brown in a regular oven, but are not really needed (though i use some olive oil) in a wood fired crust...

When I dump a pizza on the cooking floor, I generally scrape it out with the peel, then let it just burn off, hit it with the scraper side of my brush, then go again. It does slow everything down and cool the oven off a bit...

Drake
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Apprentice

It sounds to me like the fire is too hot. I had trouble with charring and I found that if I let the fire just sit for about 15 minutes it evened the temp. My temps get up to 1000 and my pizzas cook best around 750. If the temp is not high enough you may have cooked tops with gooey centers. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Journeyman

Too hot is possible. Usually if your dough ingredients are proper (no oil or sugar) and it still burns, check your hydration. 60 - 62 percent is about right.
Screw around with it but take casual notes. One day you'll get it perfect. The next time you'll forget what you did right.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Journeyman

What kind of flour are you using? The Caputo 00 can take the heat a bit better than other flours. I usually cook at different temps for different flours. If I'm using caputo 00 then I let it get to about 800+ in the oven. If i'm using bread flour then 700 usually does it...otherwise I get overly charred bottoms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Journeyman

I had some miserably burned crust until I started getting real aggressive with the hydration. I went with slop and worked my way backwards. Slop made a great pizza, but was stupid-hard to handle so I looked for a balance of good spring, minimal char and ability to be shaped. I ended up at 65% on King Arthur's bread flour and 63% on Caputo 00. This will be heracy on this forum, but I actually prefer the KA flour-based recipe - - I grew up on the deviant 23" New York Style pizza.

Recently I took Telehort's advice and tried Peter Reinharts Neo-Neopolitan recipe from his American Pie book. Worked out very nicely (at 65% hydration).

Jim

Last edited by jcg31; 07-09-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Journeyman

I burned my first pizza last night. Seems the dough was just a bit too thin. When I went to turn it, it broke in the center and it was all downhill from there. Once I finally got it out of the oven, it resembled a calzone with a cheesy coal center.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
Once I finally got it out of the oven, it resembled a calzone with a cheesy coal center.
Sounds tasty!!

Been there..... done that!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Apprentice

there is nothing wrong with an "impromptu" calzone :-)
I have made a few myself
Old 07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by telehort View Post
there is nothing wrong with an "impromptu" calzone :-)
I have made a few myself
Yea but they don't go down too well when you bite into the 1000 degree red coal center.