Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Apprentice

Default big party...keep it hot

I'm celebrating my sons new career with the fire dept. Hired yesterday!!!-
We are thrilled. These jobs are very hard to come buy around here.

We are going to hire a band and have lots of pizza. My 36x30 oven maintains heat well but I don't know how to keep it hot for say 50 to 100 pizzas.

I assume I am going to have to keep a fire going not just bank the coals at the back like I always do. Adding wood seems like you would get some smoke. I will start the fire way ahead and really build up the heat...say 3.5 hours ahead

Is there some trick I need to know for such a big party? Well, big for us. I will make the dough balls ahead and put out a production line of toppings....

Your thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 AM

Default Re: big party...keep it hot

If you keep your pieces of wood fairly small (like two inches or less) they will burst right into flame in the hot oven, smoke will not be a problem. Here's the time to use your seasoned hardwood: pine and such will pop and throw cinders on your pizzas. It's always a good idea, by the way, to use small wood for flame when cooking pizza, the flame going up the side of the dome recharges the floor heat and promotes even cooking.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I once did 30 pizzas with my 40 inch oven. You can only get it so hot, so I added some coal near the end of the firing. The trick is to have an assembly line (with the help of some of your guests) and process the pizzas in and out quickly.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Apprentice

Whoa...neil2 like bituminous coal from the coal mine. That is a totally new concept for me. No coal around here so far as I know. Coal...this may be pretty unusual my friend.

Dmon, I think the hardwood is the way to go since I have a bunch. We call it madrona.

This is a little nerve racking this is a lot a people...who knows what the actual numbers will be

Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Master Builder

berry
as a fellow barrel vault owner if you really need to do a lot of pizzas you can consider banking the coals and keeping the fire to one side...let it go all the way to the back of the oven and keep the fire licking the keystone of the arches...that should minimize any cold spots
Good luck!
Dutch
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Coal fired pizza ovens were very common. (I believe there are still some commercial ones in New York.)

I use a low sulpher antracite coal from time to time. People say it is the best pizza they have ever had.

For a supply, check with the local blacksmiths.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Apprentice

well, The party is over. I cooked 48 pizzas
The dough was made up into little balls and put in paper hamburger holders. This made the distribution easy.
The fire worked well and the oven maintained a temp of about 735 F. This was the optimal temp for me. I just added madrona wood through out the evening. It all took about 3 hours.
The guests made pizzas and mixed with alcohol many managed to get sauce on the bottom of the pizza ...even with direct instructions from my wife Peggy. the result was sticky pizza..on the plate, peel, and oven floor. Ouch. I acquired the knack of scraping the peel and unsticking the pizza and trying to salvage all I could. I was reasonable successful.
I was very stiff and sore when it all came to an end. That, for me, was a lot a pizza.
In the end it was a good time had by all including me
berryst

Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Journeyman

Nice going. Congrats to your son. It's a noble profession.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryst View Post
mixed with alcohol many managed to get sauce on the bottom of the pizza ...

Thats funny!

Congrats... Sound's like a good time.

Les....

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryst View Post
I was very stiff and sore when it all came to an end. That, for me, was a lot a pizza.
I know THAT feeling!! 48 pies is a lot of pizza baking for anybody!

Updated!