Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Journeyman

Default automatic conversion of temps

Hello James,

You're a bit of a programmer, so I wonder how easy it would be to have a tool available within the forum links bar that translates say, Ken's "balmy 208" of retained heat into degrees centigrade for your increasingly cosmopolitan membership?!

Cheers.

LMH
Old 10-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: automatic conversion of temps

Hey, that'd be quite good. You could specify in your profile which kind of measurements you prefer...

...but its probably too complicated. You'd have to enter each measurement with some kind of marker or whatever, and it's get all messed up if people entered it wrong. Still, nice idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
...I wonder how easy it would be to have a tool available within the forum links bar that translates say, Ken's "balmy 208" of retained heat into degrees centigrade for your increasingly cosmopolitan membership?!
Funny you should mention that. When I was writing that post, I planned on adding the conversion in parenthesis, but got distracted and forgot (sorry ).

Whenever I need a conversion, I head over to Google. Google has a super simple converter built into their search engine. Give it a try.

Go to Google and enter: 280f to c or 135c to f
Google will spit the answer right out. This also works with many other units.

Updated!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, Frances, Carioca,

ThermoWorks provides free, nifty temp conversion software on their site for Mac or PC. Go here: ThermoWorks – Software. This is the UK manufacturer of the ThermoPen instant read thermometer I use every day for everything. It's a thermocouple, not a thermister, so it's fast and very accurate. Not cheap but highly recommended.

Jim
Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I use Google. As someone who has one foot firmly planted in each camp, I find it useful. As I get older, I just can't do the conversions in my head any more (or remember phone numbers for that matter).
James

Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

CJ, thanks for the link. I know you have mentioned this pen before, I could not remember the brand (and have been too lazy/busy) to search previous posts. Ordering one tonight and will try downloading their software too.

thanks again

RT
Old 10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim,

Which ThermoPen model do you suggest? They have:
Super-Fast, Plug-Mount, High-Accuracy and "Other Types".

I really like my InfraRed/laser from the FB store, but the probe on it is slow to come up to temp (I guess it's a thermister type?).

Updated!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken,

Go for the Super Fast; it's all you'll need. Reads from -58 to +572F.

Jim
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Journeyman

Don't forget Converber.
"Converber is a unit converter. It is a powerful software utility that will help make easy conversions between 1208 various units of measure in 32 categories. Converber converts everything from length and force to flow and temperature." ...And it's free.
Unit Converter - Converber
Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks CJ! It's on my Christmas list.

Updated!