Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Peasant

Default When to cure?

Howdy All,
I asked this question as part of my build log but no-one has responded so I thought I would ask here!
The fine paste like mortar that I used to set my bricks seems to take a lot longer to dry than the caroser mortar I used for backfilling. Do I need to wait until it's compeltely dry (and hard) or can I start my curing fires once the backfill mortar is hard and the fine mortar is reasonably firm? As we are heading into winter here in Australia I suspect it will take ages for it to set completely.
I'm hoping to put on my insulation this weekend and would like to plan my curing fires after this.
I'd appreciate any advice people might have.
Cheerio,
Mark CH
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: When to cure?

Some say cure btw firebrick and insulation layer and others say wait until after. I cured mine after the insulation layer. Once the insulation layer is on, wait a week and then start curing. Small fires at first and building up to a full firing after another week of firings. If your under time pressure, I would not bother curing in between.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Peasant

Thanks lwood,
I've had different advice in terms of curing before or after the insulation. Do you think it will casue any problems if the bedding mortar is slightly damp when I start curing?
Cheerio,
Mark CH
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark, It won't be a problem. The whole point of curing is to minimize the cracks in the dome. If all you have is some moist fire clay / sand under the floor, I can see no harm being done.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Peasant

Thanks Les,
Sorry, I didn't mean bedding as in the floor bricks, I'm more concered that the mortar that I used to set my dome bricks in place is still ever so slightly soft (not even really damp). I'm hoping that the slow build up of heat over a weeks worth of increasing intensity fires will help to dry it out without causing the joints to fail?
Cheerio,
Mark CH
Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Les, it's best if he hears it from an expert.