Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Journeyman

Default What not to do when firing your oven

Don't leave the lighter in front of the vent opening when you do your big fire. They tend to explode when they get hot.

The first picture is before it exploded. I was cleaning up a bit then I heard a pop and saw the lighter flying through the air.
Attached Thumbnails
What not to do when firing your oven-lighter.jpg   What not to do when firing your oven-img_1841.jpg   What not to do when firing your oven-img_1842.jpg   What not to do when firing your oven-img_1843.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: What not to do when firing your oven

I did at least get the dome to turn white. And no new cracks came up so far.
Attached Thumbnails
What not to do when firing your oven-white4.jpg   What not to do when firing your oven-white-dome1.jpg  

Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Apprentice

I should hope it went white! That is one serious fire! (And an excellent photo of it, too.)
Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
Don't leave the lighter in front of the vent opening when you do your big fire. They tend to explode when they get hot.

The first picture is before it exploded. I was cleaning up a bit then I heard a pop and saw the lighter flying through the air.
I did that a few years ago!!! We should add this to the safety thread.
James

Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oooops...!

Could be a point in favour of lighting the fire with matches?

The worst I ever did on the subject of "what not to do when lighting your fire"
was leaving the bucket covering the top of the chimney in place. And not just once either. Um, it doesn't really help the oven draw...

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another what not to do......don't leave your IR thermometer in front either, doesn't explode - but is does melt. I'm not saying I did this, I'm just in the market for a new model. I guess it could have been the hot sun - thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

RT
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

RLF5,

Glad you weren't hurt...

Okay, am I the only one secretly thinking "cool"???

Dick
Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Master Builder

I was in such a hurry that I forgot to take the wooden spoon out of the toasted almonds I was making.

It now has a nice blackened look to it

We need a sticky for wfo mistakes.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
RLF5,

Glad you weren't hurt...

Okay, am I the only one secretly thinking "cool"???

Dick
Snort. Nope. I've been a pyromaniac since I was a child- we used to blow stuff up with firecrackers at the lake when I was little. I have matured enough to be safety conscious now, but I still love a big bang (with ear protection, I want to keep my hearing), fireworks, big roaring fires, you name it.

On the last project we worked on, we had to have rock dynamited so we could get foundations. They drilled and blew up a whole hilltop. We had to hide behind the bulldozer bucket, but we got video. REALLY COOL!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Snort. Nope. I've been a pyromaniac since I was a child- we used to blow stuff up with firecrackers at the lake when I was little. I have matured enough to be safety conscious now, but I still love a big bang <snip>
Me too, me too.

My father was building his house when I was about eight. My job that summer was to clean the old mortar from a couple thousand used bricks [the real ones, not the sissy ones you get from the Home Despot]. I got busted with my first fire and a box or two of kitchen matches while hiding behind the stack of cleaned bricks.

J W