Old 08-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Serf

Default what is the good kind of wood

what is the good kind of wood i shoud use in my oven.

thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Wood Types

Aziz,

Depends on what you're doing. For pizza, you want fruit wood because of the taste it imparts to the finished dough. Here, I'm able to get apple and cherry from local orchards. The drawback is that it takes a long time to season it if it's cut green. I also use the sawdust for smoking meats and fish. In my bread oven, I tend to burn just about anything because the fire is raked out at the end. Still, my preference is maple limb wood. It has lots of BTUs per pound and really gets my oven roaring hot.

Jim
Old 08-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Apprentice

Default Any hardwood except walnut

While Fruitwood is the BEST wood for cooking pizza, if you can't find it, oak and maple are good substitutes. I burn oak in my pizza oven, and it works well.

I've also burned maple and cherry (woodworking cutoffs).

I've been told to stay away from walnut, as it imparts some nasty flavors and/or chemicals.

Just make sure your wood is as DRY as possible.

Cheers,

- Fio
Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Walnut

Fio,

Black walnut is a super woodworking wood, straight grained and very distinctive when a finish is applied. However, it will stain your hands purple, and some people, including me, get an instant headache from the dust. I do burn it in my fireplace occasionally, and it has a pleasant perfume-like aroma. Normally, though, it's hard to get and has too many drawbacks.

Jim
Old 08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

We have a shotgun stock company in Santa Rosa that uses Walnut (I think it's Black) and they have a scrap mountain. You can load a pick up truck for a small fee. I tried it once, and had good success. I think the other fruit and nut woods are better, but as it's there and cheap, it's a good local choice. I wouldn't pay more, or specifically go looking for it.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Walnut

James,

If they're making stocks, they're probably using the curly grained pieces near the base of the tree or, sometimes, the large roots. This wood is very dense and hard and would be loaded with BTUs. Walnut is oily; that's what stains your hands. It's nice to know that it works for pizza. I've been stockpiling fruit wood for a while, in anticipation of branching out into pizza next year, so I'll add it to the pile if I can get it.

Jim
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Laborer

My neighbor has LOTS of ASH and some citrus to get rid of.
Is ASH any good?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Laborer

ash is very similar to oak in hardness and graining..in fact a lot of people mistake ash for oak..but it is lighter in color...as far as cooking i've never tried it but it burns very similar to oak in my kalamazoo stove..not sure if that helps but i believe it would work fine in your oven...and if your neighbor has it...try it..worst case scenario is a ruined pizza
Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Apprentice

Has anyone heard if almond wood is good for cooking?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Master Builder

Unsure about almond wood, but I'll put in a word for alder. It was a little slow to reach ideal cooking temperatures, although it did get me there (750 hearth). It was not well seasoned, so it may be faster when it has dried a bit more. Almost no sparks and a fine flavor. For me, this is a readily available and cheap wood.