Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Serf

Default Wet oven

I just finished curing my oven and put a layer of blanket insulation over it. It reached perfect temps. I placed a tarp over it and thought it was secured, but a thunderstorm in my area thought differently. I know my blanket is probably trashed (Luckily I have more), but do I have to cure my oven again? I think my ceramic board on the bottom should be all right shouldn't it? I remember reading that James had intentionally left FB Board out in the rain and it has held up just fine. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wet oven

My board was wet from a hole in the tarp and continued firing eventually dried it out with no damage...I would'nt doubt that the blanket would be the same...
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Laborer

The ceramic fire blanket and board will dry out. No need to replace. Due to the storm, if the fire bricks were saturated with water, I would recommend going through the curing process again. After all the hard work, you want to do everything possible to avoid cracks in the dome. If you are in a rush, you can forego further curing. Cracks tend to naturally appear anyways. Not a big deal.

Depending on how wet the insulation is, you may have trouble getting the oven to temp until the ceramic fibre material and bricks dry out some.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Serf

Thanks for the reply. I cured it all over again and I'm good to go!