Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Serf

Default Wet Oven!!.

We have recently had a lot of rain. It has taken a long time to heat up the oven. The floor of the oven had difficulty getting up to 550 degrees & holding it. Finally. I hooked up a battery operator blower to increase the temperature dramatically, kind of like a bellows. It worked fine & I noticed a LOT of water coming out from the bottom of the oven which is on an elevated slab of concrete. After that, the floor got up to 750 & maintained its heat like normal. The exterior of the oven is a ceramic blanket over the firebrick, covered in lath & 2 coats of exterior stucco. After rain storms, I notice the oven is dry inside ( maybe a little condensation.)I was thinking of keeping a tarp over the oven until I use it but will it actually trap moisture? Thoughts anyone?? Any suggestions with this.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wet Oven!!.

Keep low fires going until you do not see condensation unde a piece of plastic taped to the outside of the dome. Keeping it covered when not hot and in rainy weather will keep it from getting wetter. You could place a fan inside while covered to aid inthe drying.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Andy,

What did you put to finish the stucco? If it is just stucco, it will pretty much act like a sponge. You say it's dry inside after the rain but it has to be getting in somewhere. Could it be leaking in where the dome contacts the hearth?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Firebrick will take in a certain amount of moisture from the air. But there would be two places I would check. Around the chimney if its going to crack it will be there. A fexible high temp sealer will do the job
The secound is the hearth brick itself at the entrance. If the rain blows in on that its a straight path to your insulation. Protect that hearth from the wheather is always easier than drying that bottom insulation out. I have a watertight external door and even though a new additions seems to be working.
Hope this helps
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Serf

I didnt put anything in the stucco. O figured since it was used for houses, it must be water proof. When I rains. I don't see any water inside the oven but it sure is damp. So I assume the fix is a tarp until I am ready to use it?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaterAndy View Post
O figured since it was used for houses, it must be water proof.
They usually paint houses. My guess it that you have a leak where the dome meets the hearth. Do you have a pic of your build?

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Serf

I used silicone caulk where the domb meets the slab, all the way around.
Now I'm thinking. If water has gotten in through the stucco, the silicone caulk may have held in the water. Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaterAndy View Post
I used silicone caulk where the domb meets the slab, all the way around.
Now I'm thinking. If water has gotten in through the stucco, the silicone caulk may have held in the water. Thoughts?
Drill a hole through the slab from underneath if you can, it will aid in letting the water out.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We live in the tropics and during the wet season it's generally too hot to think about lighting fires or it's too wet. Consequently we don't use the oven much during these months, but when it is time to crank it up again it's pretty wet even though the outer shell is waterproof. We do not go right back to the early curing fires used when building the oven, but a few long slow burns restores the oven to normal operation. Sometimes, depending on the weather, I fire the oven the day before wanting to cook to ensure it is dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Wet Oven!!.-pa180120.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 08-19-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Serf

Great, thanks all