Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Serf

Default waterproof outer layer

Hi guys, i was recommended to cover my dome and insulation with an exterior stucco with a waterproofing additive. I am planning on curing my oven after finishing the insulating layer (is this correct?)...my question is, should i cure after applying the waterproof stucco or should i cure after the insulation (blanket and perlite concrete) and then apply the final finish. The reason i am unsure is that by curing i am driving the moisture out and as such it dosent seem to make sense to put a moisture barrier on top to stop this process. Or will the moisture find a way out anyway even if covered with waterproof stucco?
Any help would be greatly appreciated - dont want to fall at the last hurdle!
many thanks
George
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: waterproof outer layer

I cured with full insulation, but with no exterior stucco at all. I got great flumes of steam. I can't imagine how that moisture would have ever escaped if I had applied my waterproof stucco first.

On the plus-side, living in wet Seattle, my three-layer Quikrete-with-acrylic-fortifier exterior has worked like a charm. The entire top of my oven is a planter bed which I intentionally water (drench) and I have yet to see a drop of water inside my oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Serf

thank you! think i will go down the same route as you and cure with full insulation but save the outer stucco until after 10/20 firings
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Master Builder

I also used Quikrete QuikWall SBC with acrylic fortifier. So far I only have just a coat of it over a couple layers of base coat stucco. I will be applying a second coat soon.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 10-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Serf

thank you for your replies guys - i was just wondering though, how did you protect the whole set up from the elements (rain, moisture) while you were curing , or in fact before the waterproof layer went on.
Was it just a case of maybe a blanket and waterproof tarp on top?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Master Builder

Most people either use tarp or erect a canopy over the oven.
I did not have to deal with any of that because I'm in L.A. and we don't get much rain at all.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO