Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Apprentice

Default URGENT. Is this enough wood for a pizza firing?

ok, pizza day tomorrow, Saturday.

So I have dug out all my wood store, and this is it:

I know it's a poor photo, but is this enough for a regular pizza party for 25 people?

I got myself into this situation by getting to the back of my stack before I had realised what was going on.

I need to know urgently if I can get away with this amount of logs.

Please advise.

Tim

PdeD
Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: URGENT. Is this enough wood for a pizza firing?

I think so. I'm sure I didn't use that much for my big party last month. I'd say I used a stack about 3 feet tall by 3 feet high- but mine is split smaller than yours too, so I had more pieces. That shouldn't matter, though, especially for getting up to temp. You might want some smaller pieces to feed the fire while you're cooking- I don't like big pieces then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi PdeD!

Looks like enough. Use the lumber for heating. I think you will use about 2/3 of it but??? depends on how long you fire...

It would be nice to have some longish pieces to put in while cooking. Can you buy a few sticks of oak?

Good luck!
Jay
Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Apprentice

Great to hear from you guys, especially as it's so late here in the uk, nearly 11pm.

As it happens, Jay, I do have some oak - some unwanted skirting boards and some spindles from a stair case too.

You suggesting them for a particular reason?

I guess everything will be ok, by the sound of it. I just never got the back of my woodpile in the lat two years (I only fire about twice a year, due to local conditions: nearby neighbours).

P de D.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

added... Jay, what do you mean by 'lumber'?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi PdeD!

By lumber I was referring to the boards. My reason for oak was that it burns longer and having a longer piece gives you more of a "curtain" of fire going up the side. You can achieve the same thing with chunks but it is a lot harder to control/move the pieces and organize the flames.

Hopefully your oven is dry!

If you have any friends in the group that you think have firewood, tell them it is a BYOW party (bring your own wood!)
Jay
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Jay.

P de D
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Apprentice

Well it all went really well, everyone!

I had enough wood and quite a bit over for this occasion.

Thanks for the help and reassurance.

Here are a couple of photos of a few things I did int he oven today, not the pizzas, I mean, they're ssoooooo easy, !!! LOL! Not easy at first, and the dough just right. That's 60% hydration, BTW.

Anyway, here's some garlic I put in an old tin can of vegetable oil and let simmer for an hour or so. I was a bit worried about the smoke point, or the point where it would burst into flames (maybe that IS the smoke point?)!

And in the process of eating:

... and

I did some carrots and leeks with garlic in a Le Creseut pot as well, but that'll have to go in another post.

I've got some regular bread to go in this second as I type, and will post that too. I've never done bread in the wfo before now! Oh, and I also did chicken thighs today, took about 25 minutes. Man, they went down a storm! And it was meant to be a children's birthday pizza party!

I can't help myself.

Cheers guys, you're the best.

Puy de Dome

ps, you shoulda seen my 'ommlette' done in a skillet
Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The garlic is a good idea. Look forward to additional details!

Glad it went well!
Jay
Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Apprentice

HI Jay,

I couldn't post more than five pictures in that post, so didn't do th carrot ones. I'll try now.

Ah yes, there they are. Only tried them earlier to check; seemed nicely done.

Oh, yeah, here's the other pic I took. My sheet for the day where I kept a thermometer in two places in the oven. I don't have any thermocouples.

I'm planning on putting my cherished lamb in the oven int he morning, as a bit of a test for next year's half lamb.

I have closed the oven now, and the temp inside is basically 190c, so I'll see what it is doing in the morning to judge whether it's worth the risk of putting in my lamb pieces or not, or putting them in our regular house oven.

I have got some leg, shoulder, rack and one other cut I cannot remember the name of to try out. Gonna shield the tender cuts with foil, and roast for at least 5 hours, depending on what I find in the morning.

Have to say, I'm a bit knackered now, having done all that and some loaves of bread too, today.

Night night.

P de D