Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Serf

Default Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

I can't seem to get the oven hot enough. Once I did, but it took six hours. How long does it take y'all to heat it? What do you use besides wood? I read about propane torch. Will get one of those. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

Susan,

I am usually good to go after 90 minutes or so (though I prefer 2 hours. Could you post some pics (of your oven that is). Also, is your oven wet? I am wondering about your insulation layer underneath and over the dome.

As for firing my oven, here is a picture from the other day.

Note: I am a trained professional. If you try this at home, it is on your own risk of severe burns, explosion(s) or mortal death. Don't say I did not warn you!
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven-100_1376.jpg  

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanRHall View Post
I can't seem to get the oven hot enough. Once I did, but it took six hours. How long does it take y'all to heat it? What do you use besides wood? I read about propane torch. Will get one of those. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year!
Susan, I am probably not one of the many people on this site who can help you, but if you can maybe include a little more info: how the 42 is constructed, where, insulation, weather/waterproofing, and even better a few pics, Im am sure there are plenty of folks who can get together and figure out why it is taking "6 hours" to bring your oven up to temp.

PS, I think that C5dad covered it all: Its just that I Can't resist responding to someone who uses y'all in the written form even though in Mississippi it is ya'll

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 01-03-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammer ya'll
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

Susan

How many times have you fired the oven?
What was your curing regimine?

Most of the time, (and someone asks the same question every six or eight weeks here), the oven is not yet cured, or has gathered some moisture somehow.

We are between Granbury and Cleburne if we can help.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I can't seem to get the oven hot enough. Once I did, but it took six hours.
"Once I did..." This comment implies you have fired your oven more than a few times? I'm more worried about a lack of insulation under the floor than moisture in the dome. As previously mentioned, tell us all the construction details with emphasis on type of insulation used, how much, and where.

Pictures will help us greatly.

Updated!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Serf

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I think the problem has been in the way I was curing it. I'm now trying the curing process I read on the forum, i.e., starting with small, 200, 300 and up to 800. I have a few more fires to go. I started using charcoal and wood. I've read mixed reviews on that, but the charcoal seems help?? I just got an infrared thermometer. So we'll see ...I'll let you know.

Our oven is in an outdoor kitchen at our weekend place in South Texas. It has 8 inches of insulation over the dome ( 1 inch of fire clay, 7 inches of vermiculite and concrete) then covered with stucco. The oven floor also has 8 inches insulation.

I have many pictures on my iphone and would love to post some, but I'll have to have my son help me do that as I am challenged in that way.

What are y'all's favorite oven tools for moving the fire, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by SusanRHall; 01-05-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: left out the number "8."
Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

Quote:
...snip... starting with small, 200, 300 and up to 800. I have a few more fires to go. I started using charcoal and wood. I've read mixed reviews on that, but the charcoal seems help?? I just got an infrared thermometer. So we'll see ...I'll let you know...snip...
That sounds like a good plan. Charcoal will work up to a certain temperature, but you'll need wood to get the temp where you need it to steam off the moisture. If I understand the way you built your oven, there will be a lot of moisture to steam off. You may experience some cracks in the outside layer during this process (a path for the steam to exit as you get up to temperature).

Is the oven covered by a roof or other structure to keep it dry after you are cured?

Good luck

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Serf

Yes, it's covered by a roof. It's not wet. We haven't had rain in months and it's just been sitting there for a long time. I'll build my next fire tomorrow night.

Can I only build one fire a day?

Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Serf

Has anyone tried coal;if so, where did you buy it?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Serf

Question Re: Trouble firing up my 42 inch Pompeii oven

One more: Has anyone tried those terracota dishes that are sold by Forno Bravo or any of their other tools?

I almost forgot, this is for my Mississippi friend, I'm originally from Texas, but graduated from Ole Miss and I do know how to spell "y'all" correctly

Thanks again