Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Master Builder

Default Tree Roots for firewood

Last year we cut down two Mulberry Trees and now im stuck with these nasty roots, im removing them by digging around the roots and cutting them out with a large sawzal/blade. Ive got some worthy roots that ive cut up and chopped. What do you guys think? Can these be used for good fire wood in the oven? One thing i noticed was these things are very wet, so ill have to dry them real well.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Tree Roots for firewood

And this is the large root from above split in half.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its all carbon so will burn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Tree Roots for firewood

Get a fire hot enough, and they will burn as they are, wet!
I have burned small 'sap dripping' walnut trees that were cut down and immediately burned furiously!
I am currently burning Eucalypt red gum that was growing only 8 months ago.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Master Builder

Al and brickie thanks i agree, i was planning on throwin those in a hot fire since theyre wet but i will still wait to dry them a bit, its so wet that when chopping them water would just splash out onto the floor.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was in a restaurant that cooks all it's food in a WFO the other night, and was talking with the guy tending the oven. He had a neat trick - he left a could of pieces of wood just inside the door to get up to temperature, so that they would be dry and ready to ignite when he added them to the fire. With a wet piece of root, you can definitely use the oven to help dry it out.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

V-Wiz,
Try some of it for smoking first. If it is what I think it would be, that would be a shame to waist it on heat. If not, just burn it..........in the oven.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Master Builder

Dry it like you would your other wood, rather that waste it wet. I'm sure you have plenty of waste wood to use.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Peasant

V-Wiz,
Please try Gulf's suggestion and try the mulberry for smoking and report back. My quess is that it will be milder and sweeter than oak or hickory but stronger than apple or some of the other fruit woods. You'll get plenty of smoke even from dry wood if your fire is not too hot. Keep the oven door ajar slighty. 225 F is a good target temp. for most smoking.
Around here mulberries are a nuisance. Biirds love to use them for very effective and stainig bombing fadder and they they love to sprout against house foundations.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I was in a restaurant that cooks all it's food in a WFO the other night, and was talking with the guy tending the oven. He had a neat trick - he left a could of pieces of wood just inside the door to get up to temperature, so that they would be dry and ready to ignite when he added them to the fire. With a wet piece of root, you can definitely use the oven to help dry it out.
Thanks for the tip, ive been doing that with other pieces of split wood when ive been curing the oven. I can do that with these also