Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Thermometer recommendations?

Are infrared and laser thermometers the same thing (I wouldn't think so, but just asking)?

What max temperature should we shop for in a thermometer?

Any brand or model recommendations, or to-avoid-recommendations?

There are quite a pile of point-and-shoot thermometers on ebay, in addition to other sources. I'm not really sure what to look for.

Any additional thoughts on this topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Thermometer recommendations?

I have a 500˚C one and it often displays "High" meaning that the oven is over this temp.
You will need at least this range or to 1000˚F. The range that you intend cooking your pizzas.
Lower temps for your breads, buns and roast will then be easily read and cooking times calculated on traditional domestic oven times.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neills Pompeiii #1

Neills kitchen underway

Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thermometer recommendations?

I find the cheap little oven thermometers that you place inside your oven and can buy at kitchen shops, are a simple and reliable so;ution, only problem is that they top out at around 330 C, so not much use for piiza temp measurement. Drilling holes in the side of your oven for a probe etc. can create problems. Once you get to know your oven you rely less and less on temp measurement.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Journeyman

I bought the cheapest one I could find that goes up to 1000F. on Ebay. I'm pretty sure it's the same one they sell at Harbor Freight. I think it was like $35 or $40. Works great and is pretty handy in the garage and bike shop as well.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a Raytek that I bought before the cheaper ones became available. Works great!.

Technically what you are after is an infrared thermometer. They are probably referred to as laser thermometers for they typically shine a red light to show where they are aimed but the light has nothing to do with the actual temperature measurement.

There are a number that go to 900 to 1000. There is little advantage between the two for you really want the oven down in the 800 range on the hearth to bake. The dome will be hotter - 900-1000 but exact temp isn't very critical and getting both to the right temperature could be tricky.

One factoid to note is that the light puts a tiny red dot on the surface being read. The actual area measured grows rapidly as the gun moves from the surfact. On the ones I have looked at the area read seems to be about a 1 foot circle at 3 feet or so. And it gives you the average over that area. (So if you are 6 feet away and shining it in your oven you may be reading your landing as well as your oven)

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Journeyman

I bought the Harbor Freight one, and it seems to work.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I bought a kinda expensive unit at SEARS, 89.00 $ and its rated for 1400 degrees, It worked great till I left it out one night and of course it rained... Ruined it... I went to sears and it was covered under their craftsman replacement guarentee,, (They didnt care why it wasnt workinng) I got a less expensive unit that goes up to 1000 degrees and works great too.. Only now I make sure I bring it inside when im done.... I also got a 35.00 gift card since i bought the cheaper one (they didnt have mine in stock)
Im happy with it
Mark
Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Laborer

harbor freight has one on sale tell 10-12-09
ITEM 96451-0VGA

$59.99 Non-Contact Laser Thermometer
Non-Contact Laser Thermometer

Instantly measure temperatures in automobile engines or other machinery by simply pointing the laser.

* Professional quality, German infrared technology at an excellent value
* Temperature range: -4F/-20C to 968F/520C
* Distance to spot accuracy: 8 to 1
* Single circuit chip design prevents jamming
* Celsius/Fahrenheit LCD display with backlighting
* Accuracy: +3F/+2C or 2% of reading
* Nonslip cushioned grip

9 volt DC battery included. Overall dimensions: 7" L x 1-3/4" W x 4-1/2" L at grip
Weight: 0.35 lbs.
think is 39.99
Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Peasant

Will this one be suitable?

Digital Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer -25~560C /F - eBay, Thermometers, Gadgets, Electronics. (end time 22-Oct-09 23:51:57 AEDST)

Many thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That looks fine and the price isnt that bad,, I find now that I have been cooking a while that i barely use my IR thermometer anymore, so if you dont want to spend the money.. just start cooking when the dome turns white ...

Cheers Mark