Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Serf

Default Shep's Oven Firing

I started my oven in April and did not fire it until June. As I'm the only one I know who has built an oven, I dont know that much about them ,I have a few questions if anyone could answer them I would appreciate it. I have never been able to to have the temp. exceed 600 degrees, it may be my wood,I use only local poplar. Also how long should it take to reach 600 degrees, and how hot should the outside of the dome feel at that temp. I have approx. 4 inches of refactory insulation on top of my dome and have covered that with 3/8 P2000 insulation. also how long should I expect the oven to retain at least 200 degrees? By the way It's a 27 inch oven with a factory dome.

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Shep's Oven Firing-100_1305.jpg   Shep's Oven Firing-100_1320.jpg  

Last edited by Barry Shepherd; 11-06-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: adding
Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Serf

Default Re: Shep's Bake Oven

What am I doing wrong? I'am not getting any answers to my questions.

Barry
Old 11-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Shep's Oven Firing

Hey Shep,

I moved your posting to Oven Firing -- I think it will get more attention here.

It sounds to me as though you just haven't built large enough fires. You should be able to get a smaller oven up easily past 700ºF in about 40 minutes. You want some serious flame. It sounds like you got the small oven dome kit from Superior. Is that right?

Basically, go for it with bigger fire and let us know how it goes. Each oven is different, so you can enjoy the process of getting to know your oven, and seeing how long it holds heat for baking and roasting -- and then for lower temp dish, such as beans and lentils.

Also, take a look at the FB oven firing video. That might have some useful info for you.

James

Forno Bravo Video | How to Fire a Wood Oven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Journeyman

I think James hit the nail on the head...add more wood, make it roar!

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Although not the best choice for maximum BTUs, poplar should burn plenty hot to go beyond 700 degrees. The build a bigger fire mantra holds true; as I was originally told - build a scary fire, if you don't step back and say "holy crap", it needs more wood.
My only question - you mention dome insulation and it sounds like you are good there; what about under the hearth?

RT
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Master Builder

I use poplar for early part of my fires and switch to hickory. it burns quickly and hot.

The poplar I have "pops" and will throw ash on pizzas sometimes.....

Christo

Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Journeyman

Hey Shep,

RT has my question... Describe your insulation under the oven hearth? If this is not well insulated, your structural hearth will pull lots of heat away from the oven.

If the insulation is good, then it is probably a question of fire intensity - think 'holy crap'.

JED
Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Serf

Jamie

How do I view the vidios? And my oven is a Superior, and I have not made a holy crap fire, I was afraid it would blowup. I have 4 in. of refactory concrete under the hearth. What about winter firing? I'm not sure where this message is going.

Thanks
Shep
Old 11-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Shep,

Just click on the link and it takes you to a page with a YouTube video. It will work on any computer.

To summarize -- it's time to build up to one heck of a fire! :-)
James

Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hey Shep,

Just click on the link and it takes you to a page with a YouTube video. It will work on any computer.

To summarize -- it's time to build up to one heck of a fire! :-)
James
James

Thanks for your help.

Shep