Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Apprentice

Default Russian olive wood?????

I have a friend who just bought some property with a bunch of Russian olive trees on it that he just wants to cut down and get rid of. I was trying to find if it is a good source of wood but haven't been able to find much. Can anyone give me an idea if this is good wood to use? Is it hardwood? The two things I have read that make me question it are that it lets off a cat urine smell sometimes and that gum can be harvested from it. But it does produce a fruit which makes me wonder if it is a fruit tree and therefore possibly a hard wood. Thoughts? Input? Advice?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Russian olive wood?????

Slice a piece and see what the grain is like, it may be worth way more selling it to pen turners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
I have a friend who just bought some property with a bunch of Russian olive trees on it that he just wants to cut down and get rid of. I was trying to find if it is a good source of wood but haven't been able to find much. Can anyone give me an idea if this is good wood to use? Is it hardwood? The two things I have read that make me question it are that it lets off a cat urine smell sometimes and that gum can be harvested from it. But it does produce a fruit which makes me wonder if it is a fruit tree and therefore possibly a hard wood. Thoughts? Input? Advice?

Thanks,
Nate
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood...ent/110906.htm
Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Al and Polo. It sounds (and smells ) like I don't want to burn it in a WFO or near any pizza or other food. It sure looks pretty though. Maybe I need to get it from him anyway and see if I can make some money off it.

Thanks guys!

Nate