Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Serf

Default Problems Starting My Fire

I have a 27" clay (sorry no fancy bricks) and tons of year dried wood. The wood is 12" long and vary in thickness. I've tried a few times to get fires started using fatwood and starting a log cabin twig fire, and building to sticks and finally my split wood. Problem is the split wood never catches. Do you have any tips or tricks (best a video) to get the wood to light? Should I split my dry wood more so and make it kindling?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Problems Starting My Fire

The size and humidity is likely hindering your fire by absorbing a great portion of the heat. Have you tried running a quartz work light in the oven for a few days to dry things up? Run the lamp until you’re oven is beginning to feel a bit of warmth on the exterior, this assuming that you have not insulated the dome yet.. If you have, just let it run for a few days and try your fire again. Don’t push the fires, take your time and in a week or so you’ll have a working oven, but until the clay dries, you may have a time getting a fire to go.

Chris
Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Serf

Unfortunately, I have already insulated and stuccoed the oven. Also, I don't have access to a work light. Any other ideas? I tried drying my firewood in a the 200 degree oven. I am thinking I may need to split it further for more kindling.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Split the wood down to finger size and work from there. I'm betting that you're fighting the steam and close proximity of the oven walls. You can also go with brickettes or lump charcoal. also remember that a hair dryer fan running into the fire will beef things up. all of this said, remember that you need to go slow and drive the water out..

Chris

Tags
fatwood, fire starting, split wood