Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Laborer

Default Peculiar Smell When Cooling Down

I've been curing my 30" refractory dome oven this week using only seasoned hardwoods & newspaper. The burning wood smells so good... even the neighbors have raved about it (luckily) and I haven't even put food in it yet! And the next day when I pull off the oven doors to get ready for the next fire, it smells so good! But at the end of the daily cures, after the fire has died & the oven begins to cool, I've noticed a slight, peculiar smell coming from the oven. I don't even know where to start describing it other than it's non-organic, almost faintly metallic-like. When I stick my nose in there & take a good whiff, it's stifling... a bit suffocating.

Anyone experience anything like this???
Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Peculiar Smell When Cooling Down

It could be the oven coking - I had this when I was curing my oven, the wood wasn't combusting efficiently due, I assume, to the huge moisture content within the oven chamber. The dome was very black and it smelled like you describe. I think the material used in the construction also smells whilst it is curing too. All disappeared once the oven had been fired to full temperature a couple of times.

Good luck!

p.s. I cured my oven without using a door to let as much moisture escape as possible, it could even be your door curing if it is painted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PerryPizza; 09-10-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPizza View Post
It could be the oven coking - I had this when I was curing my oven, the wood wasn't combusting efficiently due, I assume, to the huge moisture content within the oven chamber. The dome was very black and it smelled like you describe. I think the material used in the construction also smells whilst it is curing too. All disappeared once the oven had been fired to full temperature a couple of times.

Good luck!

p.s. I cured my oven without using a door to let as much moisture escape as possible, it could even be your door curing if it is painted...
You know, I suppose it could be the smell of steam. Now that I've had more time to think about it, the smell kind of reminds me of that. Just got a little worried when it took my breath away after sticking my nose in there.

I only put the doors (unpainted, made from some fire resistant material) on when the oven cools to about 200-300 degrees. I thought I read somewhere this was the thing to do during curing to retain the heat longer. Should I leave the doors off all night & let it cool faster?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Laborer

I figured out what the smell is most similar to... a sauna! I guess that would make sense. So what is that smell from? Is it moisture... is that what extreme heat smells like??? Sorry... my 1st WFO!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Does it smell a bit like a road paving site ?

If so, it could be creosote build up.

This will burn off in the final firing when your oven gets to 900 + F.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Laborer

Not so much like tar... it really smells more like a sauna.