Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

Default Oven tools

Hello,

I am going to have some tools prepared for my oven. An efficient tool for raking out ashes and a tool for placing wood/logs. For raking I consider a conventional rake design with a linear blade at a straight angle to the shaft or a curved blade (like a half-moon or semi-circle). For placing wood I consider a simple two-pin fork design.
Any recommendations. What are you folks using?

Regards from Karl
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oven tools

I basically use the tools that came with my Casa 100. the round peel, the square peel and the brass brush. The log grippers are also very important, as are good oven mitts. Also, the infrared thermometer is a must, although there is quite a variety of costs with that. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Journeyman

For placing wood, I use a 4 prong cultivator that was laying about. The wood doesn't know the difference. Cheap and effective.
A garden hoe works for raking ash. Normally, I'll just use my peel.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven tools

I have and use 5 tools,
• an 8" circular peel (the cut-out from my stainless steel vent for the chimney opening)
• A stainless rake (that is more of a hoe, but wider), for pushing and pulling the fire and coals,
• an aluminium dust pan sized shovel for the removal of coals and ash,
• an aluminium peel for placing the pizzas in the oven, and
• a natural bristled banister brush for sweeping the hearth after pushing the coals aside. This is easily set alight bit only smoulders and is almost due for replacement.
I am looking at manufacturing a wooden peel but haven't yet done it as it will come on a "needs basis".
I also have and use junk metal log supports which keep the kindling and heavier hardwood up off the hearth (well at least one end) which allows air to increase the burn and the oven temperature. A very handy and 'essential' tool. It is removed when I spread the coals around the hearth very carefully as it is glowing red hot and easy to burn anything it falls upon or touches.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neill’s kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Journeyman

"a natural bristled banister brush for sweeping the hearth after pushing the coals aside. This is easily set alight bit only smoulders and is almost due for replacement."

I'm on my second "horse hair" brush. Nothing works better but is easily consumed. If only I could find a LONG bristled brass or something heat resistant.

I'll initially mop it out using a length of old bath towel strips wrapped around the retired banister brush, affixed with a steel clamp and moistened with water.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Journeyman

In addition to the placing peel (homemade wood), pulling peel (approx 10" rectangle, metal), turning peel (8" round), brass brush, ash dust pan, ash corner scooper (stick with a bit of metal to help sweep the ash from the corners of the oven), fob holder (stick with a wire to move wet rag to wipe floor before bread, boost humidity), I use a 'blow hard bellows". A 36" copper pipe with a cap, and small hole.

This tool comes in handy to boost the fire, of course, by delivering air at an individual spot, but mostly I use it to blow the ash off the floor between pizza's, and occasionally poke at the fire....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...lows-5654.html (Blow Hard Bellows)

The next one on my list is to build is a tool to do a better job of moving the wood around inside the hot oven... something like the 'clinker grabber' ??? The hair on my fore arm may never grow back....

And some light... It gets dark at 5 pm around here this time of year, and I would like to have better light out at the oven. Always projects....

JED
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post

And some light... It gets dark at 5 pm around here this time of year, and I would like to have better light out at the oven. Always projects....
My husband bought me a baseball cap with LED's on the brim for Christmas. I think it came from Lowe's. Looks kinda silly, but it really works when it's dark out!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Laborer

Jed
I use a clamp on bbq light. Works great!
Clamp on or Magnetic Mounting LED BBQ Grill Light*::*BBQ Lights*::*Outdoor Extras*::*Arizona Outdoor Products DBA BBQ ISLAND (GAS Grills, BBQ Equipment, Outdoor Kitchen Accessories)
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven tools

My household 'downlights' are built into the chimney void and work an absolute treat.
I would not have an oven without them. They illuminate the whole oven inside and provide a nice ambience especially at night and hilight the oven.
I also made the same for Hendo's oven but then modified them as he had 2 12 volt swivel underwater pool lights which I mounted up in the top corners on the outside of his dome and illuminate the whole of his hearth floor. I had to mount them outside otherwise they would have been a pool of plastic after the first firing.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

Neill’s kitchen underway

Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Journeyman

ERASMO.

That is a good looking lamp. I'll think about that solution, it might work.

And Neill, I wish I had an overhead structure to work with, but I built the durn oven out in the middle of the yard with nothing over head but a big Ponderosa Pine! The lowest branches are near 40 feet (12 meters) up in the air! Would require to big a lamp to get any lumen's on the hearth from that height...

JED