Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Serf

Default Oak, Red Oak or Post Oak please advise

Hello All,

I am trying to order wood from my local (Houston) market, I decide to get a cord. My question, which of above woods will be preferred to use in WFO?

One of the dealers told me Post Oak another just Oak, I had bought just plain firewood last time and it produce heavy smoke.

Please Advise!!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oak, Red Oak or Post Oak please advise

You can use any of these Oak varieties, or any hardwood for that matter. Post Oak is probably has the most BTU content per cord of the three you mention, it will also be the heaviest to stack.

Make sure that you are getting "seasoned" hardwood. Moisture content should be 20% or less.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

White oak has the highest btu trips per cord, but as mentioned any oak variety is good. Also, if you are getting smoke then it probably needs to season more. Wood should be cut in the winter when sap content is low, and dryed over the spring, summer and fall. Don't cover the wood pile unless it rains. And make sure there is no soft wood in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Post Oak is probably has the most BTU content per cord of the three you mention, it will also be the heaviest to stack.
From what Ive read you get the same btu per kilo of wood, so the heaver the wood the more btu's it will produce on burning.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 AM
Peasant

Yes, pound per pound or kilo per kilo wood will produce the same amount of heat assuming that the moisture content is the same. In temperate climates it will take a year per inch to dry wood to 20% moisture content. Thus logs larger than several inches should be split to speed drying. You don't want wood larger than that for the WFO anyway. Kiln dryed lumber will be about 8%. Wood can be burned staight from the tree but it consumes a lot of heat getting rid of the moisture.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had posted a btu value chart on another thread that came out of a book I own. Note the slight difference between Red and White oak

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/fa...d-19132-2.html (Favorite Wood)

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
From what Ive read you get the same btu per kilo of wood, so the heaver the wood the more btu's it will produce on burning.
Right, the denser the wood, the heavier the wood, the heavier the cord, the more BTU's.

Here's a good link, don't be too caught up in exact BTU ratings. It can vary quite a bit based on moisture content. This site explains how they come up with the BTU ratings of the species.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Last edited by Polo; 06-08-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They sell firewood here by the Tonne, the denser the wood the more expensive it is.
Of course when buying it you have to make sure that you are not just paying for the moisture content.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a table of btu's for wood in our region.

Properties of Firewood - Department of Environment and Primary Industries

Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
They sell firewood here by the Tonne, the denser the wood the more expensive it is.
Of course when buying it you have to make sure that you are not just paying for the moisture content.
Here in Ohio firewood has to be sold by the cord or half cord.

I am a little surprised that a Ton of hardwood would cost more than a ton of softwood. It seems like someone would have a lot more time and work into cutting and splitting a ton of Pine than he would a ton of Oak.

I realized that my link didn't take in my post above so I edited it in. It is a pretty informative site.