Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deejayoh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Norway Maple?

The city is cutting down two "Norway Maple" trees in the median in front of my house tomorrow and leaving the wood for the neighbors. Anyone have experience burning this in their oven? I can't find it listed on the chimneysweep BTU chart but mentions I have found of it indicate it burns pretty well.

I loves me some free wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Norway Maple?

Great wood, grab it all.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Laborer

Depending upon where you are, Norway Maple can have some great figure inside that wood turners like- if happen to know someone that turns, you might offer up a chunk. I've seen some remarkable bowls and hollow vessels from this type of maple.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The most likely reason you didn't find Norway Maple on the site you checked is because it's an invasive species which is native to Europe and Asia.

I have nothing in my charts about Norway, but from the things I have read, it has BTU rating close to Sugar Maple.

We burned this wood (along with any hardwood species on the east coast) and split pretty good. Burned nicely too....I would grab some if you can.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I grabbed maybe a third of a cord. There was lots more down there but I just don't have the room to store it. Probably nearly two cords left. I grabbed mostly the small stuff, and split a few of the bigger rounds.

Some of the wood did have some cool spalting - but I don't have any woodworker friends, so I'm just gonna burn it
Norway Maple?-photo.jpg
Gulf likes this.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

a free 1/3 of a cord is better than a nothing any day. Nice score.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This stuff split up really nicely. I am looking forward to firing the oven with it next summer!
Norway Maple?-wp_000380.jpg