Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Apprentice

Default FireDragon Bellows

From one of my other favorite websites, well worth checking most every day.
Cool Tools
This is a direct copy/paste from today's post, today's cool tool. (not my words)

I've been using the FireDragon for the past five years to quickly and efficiently get my woodstove burning. It allows me to get a fire started using a minimal amount of tinder and kindling, and without any other firestarters. This is one of those simple, good ideas. You blow into the FireDragon to shoot a directed, bellows-like blast of air into your fire, creating a supercharging effect. This helps get larger chunks of wood to ignite and burn steadily when lighting a fire or adding a new log to a fire that isn't burning well, and it can return a smoldering fire to blazes with a few puffs.

It's basically a 3-foot long steel tube with a brass mouthpiece (that makes me think of a flattened trombone mouthpiece) and a forked end that can serve as a fire poker, log re-arranger, and coal raker. The manufacturer says they got the idea from Civil War soldiers that would take the barrels off thier rifles and blow through them to fan their campfires.

Now I find I want the FireDragon any time I'm around a fire, so it goes along camping. It is plenty sturdy. No moving parts, and easy to use.
-- Brent Inghram

[Note: Mango Energy has a short video demonstrating its use on Youtube. -- OH]

FireDragon Bellows
$35

Available from Amazon

Manufactured by Mango Energy
Attached Thumbnails
FireDragon Bellows-firedragon.jpg   FireDragon Bellows-firedragon2.jpg  
Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: FireDragon Bellows

That is awesome.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM
Master Builder

I'm using something basically similar to that. It's a length of 1/2" copper pipe with a copper mouthpiece on one end and a simple flattened end on the other. I primarily use it to blow ash away to clear the floor for pizza (instead of using a brass brush) and I sometimes use it to get a fire going as well. It's a nice tool and cheap to put together for under $10.

The only problem I see with the Fire Dragon bellows is that it is not long enough to really reach into most ovens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Master Builder

It would be nice to learn the source where this piece of "information" was acquired by the manufacturer:

"The manufacturer says they got the idea from Civil War soldiers that would take the barrels off thier (sic) rifles and blow through them to fan their campfires."

Bests,
Wiley