Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Serf

Default Finding wood in Hong Kong

I'm about to build my FB oven in Hong Kong (on my roof) but I'm having difficulty finding any wood, apart from fiendishly expensive stuff intended for flavour rather than heat. Maybe there's someone else in Hong Kong who knows where to get hold of wood? Otherwise, is it such a disaster to use charcoal?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Finding wood in Hong Kong

Stephen,

Good luck to you in finding wood in HK. Maybe in New Territories somewhere. I was living in Zhuhai for a few years and had contemplated building an oven behind our villa but didn't actually do it until we moved to Beijing. I built it last summer and have been enjoying pizzas ever since.

I work in Macau but get home to my family in Beijing every weekend, who wait patiently for me to fire up that oven every weekend.

Keep in touch, I am curious as to how you get on finding the building materials as well. Wasn't easy for me up north.

Cheers,
Bob

Always ready for pizza

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

FM,

I wondered what happened to your build, somewhere along the way I missed your updates. Looks like you got your oven built.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Apprentice

Russell,
Yes I finished it, sort of... I did post when I made my first pizza in it. Problem was I still haven't finished the exterior. Just after I got the dome done, cured and useable, I got a job rudely taking myself away from two years if retirement
And the job is in another city, back in Macao, a three hour plane ride from Beijing
I travel back to Beijing on weekends to be with the family and cook my weekend belly buster but don't really have time for much else.
Embarrassed by the unfinished state of my oven enclosure I stayed away from these boards ��... However now that spring has come to Beijing I'm going to do my best to get back into it, hence my return to the FB boards yesterday.
These forums were invaluable in getting my oven usable, now to pretty it up!
I'll post a photo showing my 'distraction' the reason I ended my retirement

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...etirement.html

Always ready for pizza

Last edited by Filthymutt; 05-21-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-22-2014, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not to hijack this thread, but I am still working on finishing my exterior (going on 3rd year), seems once the oven is functional, the last stages of work take forever. Good luck with the new job.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Apprentice

I don't think hijacking is a worry here as I was the first to post an answer to, it would seem, gave up for lack of an answer after a few months.

Ah well, yes it would seem the hunger for pizza drives us to finish the cooking part and them once the appetite has been sated progress slows on the overall project.

Such is life

Always ready for pizza

Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Finding wood in Hong Kong

Hi Stephen,
Surely there would be plenty of wood over there, not necessarily for house heating but I'm thinking of wooden palettes, (the untreated timbers) and the older hardwood ones without much paint on them. I'd check out the docks and some of the larger transport or freight companies for guidance to a supply, probably rubbish for them and free to collect. A lot of extruded aluminium rates are softwood and untreated, burns well and produces plenty of heat, I often see stacks of it around industrial areas for free or even advertised to take away in local rags.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
I don't think hijacking is a worry here as I was the first to post an answer to, it would seem, gave up for lack of an answer after a few months.

Ah well, yes it would seem the hunger for pizza drives us to finish the cooking part and them once the appetite has been sated progress slows on the overall project.

Such is life
G'day
It remained unanswered as the same question was asked by the same person and answered in the Newbie section from memory
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Tags
charcoal, hong kong, wood