Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Different sources of wood

Let's be honest. We're always scrounging wood, and you can't beat a good deal.

I already mentioned that I traded the old wood fence panels we were taking out for a good half cord of cured wood -- that worked out really well. My newest score is the guy who cuts our grass took a tree down at another house, and basically wanted an easy place to get rid of the wood. We agreed to pay him hourly for his time splitting and that's it. The old tree is now stacked in my side yard.

He has another tree down, and we going to keep going. I need to start firing my oven more just to keep up with my wood sources. :-)

Where have you scored your best wood deal?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Different sources of wood

Here is my side yard.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Different sources of wood-img_0512.jpg  

Old 06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Master Builder

my brother-in-law's wood pile
Old 06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Journeyman

If there is a sawmill in the area that handles hardwood you can get cutoffs usually for free. You have to get them during the summer months because once it gets cooler everybody takes em home. Now this wood is not yet cured or split so there is a little work and wait on your part but its well worth it. Last time I went I loaded my truck in less than an hour and split a few pieces at a time over a couple of weeks. It builds the pile up fast if you stick with it. Also just be reminded that manual hydraulic wood splitters are a great thing to have and are reasonably priced if you dont wanna spend a fortune or swing an axe.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Laborer

I just call Jack. Full size pick up truck loaded to the hilt; split and delivered for $40.00. Although he has said prices will be going up to cover increased fuel prices.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Little old man down the road who does some lumber jacking as a hobby.

100.- CHF (about the same in dollars nowadays) for one cubic meter, split but unseasoned... and that is probably the absolutely best deal I'll find around here.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunKnight View Post
If there is a sawmill in the area that handles hardwood you can get cutoffs usually for free. You have to get them during the summer months because once it gets cooler everybody takes em home. Now this wood is not yet cured or split so there is a little work and wait on your part but its well worth it. Last time I went I loaded my truck in less than an hour and split a few pieces at a time over a couple of weeks. It builds the pile up fast if you stick with it. Also just be reminded that manual hydraulic wood splitters are a great thing to have and are reasonably priced if you dont wanna spend a fortune or swing an axe.
Sawmill slabs are great and this message was a great reminder for me to call the guy I got them from to try and score some more. The last bunch I got from him was about two cords worth of red oak. Talk about an inferno of a fire and would really heat the oven fast
Thanks Cajun for the reminder and a great suggestion!
Dutch
Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Apprentice

Our neighbor is threatening to take out a soft maple in her yard--the seeds keep clogging their gutters (and ours sometimes) and the shade is REALLY dense. She's an amazing gardener, and I think she bemoans the lack of sun.

I dropped a hint and she said, "It's yours if you want it." Even when I mentioned she could probably sell some of it, she said just to take it. We'll see if she actually does it.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Journeyman

YW Dutch

OK Ed take the hint and show up with some help and a chain saw and give that wonderful neighbor lady a hand in installing more sun in her yard.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My inlaw's place up in Floyd County- 90 acres of mostly wooded steep hillsides. Even though it's nearly all vertical in some fashion or other, they seem to be determined to wreak order out of the wilderness. Or my father-in-law just likes to run his chain saw...There are always small trees he's cut down that we can cut up to feed the oven when I get it finished.