Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Oven Management > Firing Your Oven

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gulf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Serf

Default burning turf anyone?

hi all i'm new here so a big hi to everyone...i have recently finished my wfo and it is a wonderful thing, i was wondering if anyone has tried to burn turf fuel in the ovens as it get really hot when i use it to barbq, so it is ready dried so no problems there its just would anyone think it would be toxic maybe...? its not coal but its not wood either! its so readily available here in Ireland that it would be handy..
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: burning turf anyone?

I would be surprised if turf / peat got hot enough to do the job.

I can't see it doing any harm though.

Give it a try and let us know.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Journeyman

Interesting question as my next project may be to make scotch. I'm thinking of using my wfo as the vehicle to burn peat and thereby smoke the malt to kill it and impart the peaty flavor to the malt.

I can't imagine buring peat/turf should cause any problem whatsoever in a wfo.

Bill
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
Interesting question as my next project may be to make scotch. I'm thinking of using my wfo as the vehicle to burn peat and thereby smoke the malt to kill it and impart the peaty flavor to the malt.

Bill
Bill, I will PM you my address if you need an experienced Quality Control Taste Tester .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post

Bill
Bill, I will PM you my address if you need an experienced Quality Control Taist Tester .
I'm seeing double too .
WJW likes this.

Last edited by Gulf; 07-30-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: seeing double
Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Serf

Thanks for replies , will give it a run and report back ,cheers
Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 AM
Peasant

hi cat and welcome to oven heaven.... i am in wexford ireland . half way tru my build... thinking about the turf it would hold the heat in your oven over night to cook in it next day . so if it does not get up to temp with your first trial . you could go back to timber and wen finished cooking pizza stick in a pile of turf . so even next night wood be real easy to get it up to 600.C .. only down side to turf is all that fine ash.. which is good for your garden.. maybe one of them hoovers for ash would help with removel of that light dust.. think food might taste dusty.. ah well let us know how you get on with food also temp and time it takes to heat and how long it keeps heat . happy fireing ... john
Old 09-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Serf

hi cat did you ever try the turf? was thinking of trying it for slow over night cooking I live in the west of Ireland so have loads of the stuff. surely it cant be toxic?