Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Peasant

Default Box elder safe to use?

Well we've got a mess of Box Elder downed in our woods. Anyone know iff this is safe to use in the WFO?

I spent a few hours today cutting it up, pretty disappointing if it's a no go!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Box elder safe to use?

Google it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Peasant

I did that already.

Had I only wanted to know if I could burn it for firewood that would have been sufficient.

However, as I will be using it in my oven where I prepare food, I thought it prudent to verify it's use with a more specific information source, like say, oh I don't know, the Forno Bravo forum.

Guess not.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Master Builder

[QUOTE=Abouna;149813]I did that already.

Had I only wanted to know if I could burn it for firewood that would have been sufficient.

However, as I will be using it in my oven where I prepare food, I thought it prudent to verify it's use with a more specific information source, like say, oh I don't know, the Forno Bravo forum.

Guess not.[/QUOT

Hi Abouna,

Don't take offense. Here the same questions are ask ad Infinitum and sometime its better say do some research than to say yes or no. In essence you only wanted to know if you could burn it as firewood! Google research didn't indicate that it gave off harmful toxins, but stated that the BTU ratings were low and that it smoked and produced a lot of soot. You realize that in some countries the main fuel is cow crap? So, just smile sometime at directness. Don't use your box elder to start your fire, when you have a roaring fire toss a few pieces in with your hardwood and everything will be alright. When finish cooking and the oven has cooled down, place some of your not fully seasoned wood in the oven to dry.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Google to the rescue again.

Scroll down to Allergies/Toxicity:

Seems its safe as there are no warnings there.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Google to the rescue again.

Scroll down to Allergies/Toxicity:

Seems its safe as there are no warnings there.
hehehehehehhehehhehe!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Peasant

Laurentius,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I didn't take offense at all. However, I did search both Google and the forum, as I always do. I either missed the answer or simply could not find it.

To clarify, I did not ask if it could be burned as firewood, as I had that answered on my first Google search, the results of which were the same as Brickie. Yes, I knew it could be burned as firewood.

My question was specifically if it could be used in a WFO. Burning as firewood and burning as a food wood aren't necessarily the same. Just wanted to be on the safe side.

At this point I'm leaning toward burning it in the WFO in small amounts as per your suggestion.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Master Builder

Hi Abouna,

The reason I answered your question the way I did was, about 98% of the wood you use in your WFO will be fire wood, to bring in up to cooking temperature. If you do open flame cooking, grilling and smoking in it, most people try to selected hardwoods, nut and fruit wood. Most wood can and are used as you call (food wood), most are not harmful, but impart a not so pleasant taste. To saturate my oven for a double bread baking session, I've burned pine, cedar, broken furniture and even toxic railroad ties.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Master Builder

Crossing that line Laurentius. Toxic railroad ties? Really?

Not in my oven. I burn lots of pine for heating the oven for bread but would not use it for open flame cooking.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Master Builder

Railroad ties......!!

I know a bloke who does rail maintenance and he says rail lines around here are full of asbestos dust from the train brake linings. which would obviously makes its way into the timber......most of its concrete sleeper now tho.